Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High end binos

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 5 Posts

High end binos

im really thinking hard about buying new binos, but have a few questions about a few. Right now i have a pair on nikon monarchs which are ok but seem like glass isnt very good anymore, but it could probally be my eyes getting worse, but i hope not cause im only 31. i am looking at three different brands and im sure you guys will pick the swaros but here is my question? Im choosing between vortex razor 10x42, swaros 10x42 with the new rangefinder built in or the leica geovids hd with rangefinder also built in. Has anyone tryed out these three or had the chance to compare.

Has anyone had a pair of razors and went to swaros and said there is no way they would go back to the razors.

Has anyone had a pair of swaro and decided to try out the razors and thinks they are great and how great do they compare to the swaros or leica's.

I hunt in sd mule deer whitetail, but will be going to alaska in sept and the following year be hunting elk in wyoming and other states through out the years, so thats what i will be using them for. since they all have lifetime warranty do i need to spend the extra money on swaros or leica's or since i have never had high end bino's would i be just fine with the vortex, but all my scopes on my rifles are nightforce,leupold mark 4 and have had 2-3k dollor rifle scopes, so im surprised i havent bought hi end binos.I do have the money to buy anyone of these but want to get some comparison ideas.

By the way right now i have a lecia 1200 rangefinder and would probally keep it for bow hunting but thought it would be nice to have the range finder in the binos so i dont have to be carring two things around for rifle hunting.
    Thanks inadvance for your help

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    What a problem to have......

I could tell you to go with the swarovskis but you really have to mess around with both yourself.
    If I were making that choice I would get the guy at Cabelas or Sportsmans's (or wherever) to walk outside with you about 30 minutes after sunset and see what your gut tells you.
    I agree that having to carry both a RF and Binos is a pain but I carry three different binos in the field depending season and animal.
    I alway carry my RF no matter the binos.
    I'd upgrade to a RF/Bino but I have good glass and that is really a long way down the road.

Good luck making the choice!
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My wife had Monarch's that faded in clarity over time until they almost looked like wax paper. We fully intended to get her some Razor's to save some money but found a pair of used Swaro SLC NEU on Ebay for the same price as the new Razors.

While using them on tripods hunting Barbary this year, the quality in her Swaro SLC NEU far out-paced my friends Vortex and even more impressively, my Leica Geovid (non-HD). Enough that my buddy has now ordered himself a pair of the new EL Range (he works at Sportsmans and can order a "pro deal" and save a fortune). I'll let you know how they compare to my Geovid's, but I would seriously look at anything labeled Swaro first.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly View Post
    , but I would seriously look at anything labeled Swaro first.
    High end optics and mid range beer, GO GREEN
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I looked through the swaro and razor side by side a few days ago. The hd swaro was better in my opinion, but not by much. I personally wouldn't be able to justify the new price tag difference between the two though. If money is little to no importance to you then go with the swaro hands down. If you think the extra 1000+ dollars would be better spent on other gear then I would go with the vortex. After owning a pair of high end leica binoculars I would find it hard to downgrade, even a little, to the razors.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ando_31, the difference in optics exacerbates in a few years. I had an optics rep call Vortex "six-year glass". It is the same reason the OP and my wife both had major deterioration in their Nikon's. He said to expect the same experience with any mid-price binos. That is the reason we went with used SLC's... we couldn't afford new ones but wanted the quality. Definitely the way to go, IMHO.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    The SLC neu is still awesome glass for sure!

I haven't spent enough time with the new Razor HDs to recommend them.

I have spent a lot of field time with the Meopta Meostar HDs. I heartily recommend them, and they are my go-to 10x42s.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just noticed you said you have 2-3k rifle scopes on all your guns. I think most would agree that your binos and spotting scopes should be where you spend your big bucks. It is likely that you would be a more successful western hunter having that money invested into "glassing" optics. You can spend countless hours looking through binos and spotters but only look through the rifle scope for a few seconds...assuming all goes as planned.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just spent time with three guys looking through the Swaro EL's, Zeiss Victory HT, Leica Ultravid, and the Razor. The Swaro had the best edge, however the Zeiss had a wider view and was so much brighter that the edge became a non-issue (and really wasn't bad). The Ultravid was a distant third (although the geovid IMO is the best ranging bino). And as my buddy put the Razor was like looking through a bino that needed the glass protector peeled off the lens, compared to the Swaro and Zeiss. The Zeiss is the brightest and the cheapest of the three top choices.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    I have swaro EL's I got the first year the EL came out and I have used and abused them alot and are still as clear as the day I got them!