Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: High end binos

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    I've used Swarovski 10x42s for the past 20 years. When they were coming out with the ranging binoculars at the end of 2011, I sold enough old gear in a week to put them on preorder. It looks like the price has gone up $300 since I bought mine. I love, love, love mine!

One of the best uses of the built in rangefinder was on my wife's sheep hunt. The rams were rutting and moving pretty quickly between bands of ewes. We were in huge open canyon country and the built in rangefinder was awesome for picking out features quickly as we were trying to set up quickly for a difficult shot opportunity. I don't think we would have pulled that of with a separate rangefinder.

Every time I have done warranty work with Swarovski, it has been ridiculously good. My first pair of SLCs had 10+ years of hard wear and use on them. When I got them back they looked like they were brand new. That completely sold me.

My last warranty work was on a spotting scope. I drove over my scope after spotting a big buck on the way driving in one morning. They did charge me but it was pretty minimal considering the level of squash-ed-ness I had given that scope…lol.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 03-13-2014 at 10:53 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
    The reason I have and have had such high end scopes were for 1000 yard F class matches and tactical matches, I didn't need to spend so much money on premier, Schmidt & Bender and nightforce but thought I needed to try them all. Now I'm hunting with a $300 dollar pair of binos, and I have no idea why I haven't upgraded yet. I keep thinking of that saying, buy once cry once and just need to figure out what I want to get. I'm guessing I should probably get a new pair before alaska in sept if I want to see anything.lol
    I suppose that is as good of reason to have high end scopes over binos as a person could have.

I don't think you can go wrong with the three big brands. All have good resale values and are exceptional glass. Vortex is no doubt a step down, but not as far a step down as nikon monarchs. It sounds like all you need to do is find a place to try the binos and pick what suits your eyes best. As far as the zeiss being brighter than the swaros, that was also the case for spotting scopes in an article posted by Mike Eastman in one of recent magazines where the spotters were compared side by side.

If you're going to buy a pair of high end bino's at some point in life, doesn't it make sense to do it sooner rather than later since chances are you will have them the rest of your life? The sooner you buy them less cost will be incurred in a per year basis....thats how I typically end up talking myself into big optics purchases.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    yeah thats where i would love the rangefinding binos is not have to put your binos down grab your rangefinder then try to find it again and get a range.

yeah ando its better i buy now then later cause they always go up in price.
    What do u guys that bow hunt use for a rangefinder? do u use a small hand held one or do u use your bino/rf

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    They have gone up alot. I hear some of why Swaro has gone up so much the last few years is our dollar is worth less and the exchange rate had bumped our price up. I think 10x42 EL were $13-1400 when I got mine and I think that was in 2003?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    They have gone up alot. I hear some of why Swaro has gone up so much the last few years is our dollar is worth less and the exchange rate had bumped our price up. I think 10x42 EL were $13-1400 when I got mine and I think that was in 2003?
    I think I would have bought 100 pairs if you found them for $13
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    I think I would have bought 100 pairs if you found them for $13
    They only had 1 left, lucky I got there when I did

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    They only had 1 left, lucky I got there when I did
    Crud, that always happens to me too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Had to drive all the way to Nebraska at that! LOL

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    now if i wanted to use the range finding bins for bow hunting are they heavy and hard to range with one hand, cause i was thinking if i buy the range finding binos, I'm probably still going to need to keep a smaller hand held rangefinder for bowhunting? Don't some of those rangefinder binos, the closest they range are like 30-40 yards?

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mine ranges quickly in the 10 yard+ range...but that being said it would not be my choice for bowhunting. Binos are definitely heavier and more cumbersome than the small one-hand rangefinders...But you can get great small bowhunting rangefinders for very good prices now adays when you are just wanting it for close range and dont need the longer range models when you have the binos.