Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Should drones be legal?

On the "airplane scouting" post there was a mixed bag of opinions as to whether or not it's ethical to scout game from the air. So what do you guys think about the use of drones? I hear they are being used in the Greys by some guys for locating deer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I believe that they are already illegal to use in Colorado, we just banned their use in Alaska as a hunting/scouting tool.
    With their ability to "haze" game, I suspect the federal guys would say they are illegal if an animal demonstrated harassment in any way.
    Ethical? It's difficult to say. It would be the way they are used I guess.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I would hope they would be illegal in every state, we have too much technology for hunting as it is IMO.
    Last edited by Timberstalker; 03-13-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't think drones are even a close call when it comes to ethical hunting. What's next - shooting elk out of a helicopter?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Guys, just a heads up on this issue. A meeting was just held recently with sportspersons along with G&F personnel regarding various technology advancements, etc. and from what I understand drones was a big part of the discussion. WYBHA (Wyoming Backcountry Hunters & Anglers) is leading the push to ban them from scouting , hunting, etc. and a Bill (HB0030) has already been prefiled with the Legislature in this years session. Click on this link to read it: http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2014/Introduced/HB0030.pdf

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just my opinion, but seems way over the line to me! I'm a little old school as far as technology though! I don't have the money to afford all that cool stuff,so I'm trying to drag everybody back to my level

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I think they should be completely illegal. Scouting with them would only be something rich hunters could do and it would make scouting to easy. Its hunting not find from air and shoot!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    +1 for banning them for hunting and scouting ...although im unsure how it would be enforceable to catch people scouting and try to prosecute with someone being able to say im just practicing or making a movie of the animals and landscape...to me its kind of like catching people who bring "non weedfree hay" into the wilderness yes the forest service and game wardens should check people like outfitters and private they see but how do they know where everyone is or if they fed there stock weed free hay before the trip ...the only way i know of would be to be actively watching whole states from satellites to me that just seams unrealistic to me....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I read through the airplane scouting and recognized that well over half the people are ok with that, but find it really interesting so far no one agrees to the use of drones. Are they not very similar?

To me flying airplane, helicopter, or drone would be considered rich mans scouting and very similar type of results could be had from these three ways. I feel drones would be more for the not as rich hunters to have some what of the same playing field as the ones that fly around with a plane or hire a plane to fly them around. What if some of the same laws of using a drone were the same as flying. Couldn't hunt the same day ect.?

I would imagine a drone that a hunter could buy wouldn't be nearly as efficient as scouting from a plan because of the ground that could be covered and from the camera quality vs seeing it first hand from a plane. I can't imagine the drones that someone could buy could be flown from a miles away? I am curious what type of range they do have now though.

I am just surprised on the difference in feelings people have from drones to planes.

In the airplane thread most hunters are fine with technology advancements but drones are the line where its too much.

I guess my first thought when I heard Colorado banned them was good, but after reading how guys say airplanes are fine for scouting why shouldn't drones be if your held to some of the same laws as flying?
    Last edited by extreme minnesotan; 03-14-2014 at 02:02 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Why does everything always have to be about the rich guy vs the poor guy?
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.