Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great question. I believe it all boils down to morals and ethics. I think most of us are on the same page when it comes to our decisions on their use. Some people will consider using them cheating and unethical. Others will treat UAV/UAS's as just another tool to use, no more different than using the trail camera, the scope on your rifle or a GPS. After all, these are tools that are not REQUIRED for hunting but they sure make it better.

Right or wrong? I don't know. I'm on the fence and I can see both sides. Here is why... I work with the US Air Force Global Hawk. Google it if you're unfamiliar with it. I have an understanding and appreciation for the use of such vehicles that most don't realize. I see applications and niches that could be met with these tools. Whether you want it or not, the future of aviation is unmanned!! Just because someone doesn't like computers doesn't mean that the computer industry is going to slow down or go away. Same with UAVs (I don't like the word drones.) There are people and companies out there right now that are making these vehicles do some pretty impressive stuff. Hate them all you want, but the technology is growing fast!

Do I think they should be used for hunting? No! I like to hunt, not just go out and kill. I feel accomplished when I have worked hard, scouted hard and hunted hard to harvest an animal. Hell, even if I don't harvest an animal, I feel good about hunting. But even if I don't think people should use them, there will be a demand for them! This is where my entrepreneur side of my brain kicks in and says, "hmm, if people want them, I want to run the business that they come to for help." If you haven't heard, Game and Fish Departments are already using UAVs to track animals, observe forest fires, SAR, ect. The use of these unmanned vehicles are numerous and could really benefit a lot of people. The problem is, where do you draw the line and say, you can use them for this but not for that?

The thing that really sucks, PETA is already using them to harass hunters and "watch" them to make sure they are not doing anything "illegal." I can see Game Wardens using them for the same purposes. Just like anything else in life... the UAV is a TOOL and can be used for good or bad. Just like our self defense pistol we use at the house. It can be used for good or bad. The bottom line is... they are NOT going away and you will see great capabilities for them in our lifetime.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Knappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappy View Post

The thing that really sucks, PETA is already using them to harass hunters and "watch" them to make sure they are not doing anything "illegal." I can see Game Wardens using them for the same purposes. Just like anything else in life... the UAV is a TOOL and can be used for good or bad. Just like our self defense pistol we use at the house. It can be used for good or bad. The bottom line is... they are NOT going away and you will see great capabilities for them in our lifetime.
    Very well thought out...I used to work for Northrop, retired 15 years ago when Global Hawk was in it's infancy. You are very correct about having to deal with them in the future. The technology is here and available and getting cheaper every year.

I worked of some of the early UAV concepts, especially when they had stealth technology specified. They have had quantum leaps in technology since I retired. The same applies to the imaging systems used. We have seen just a small part of whats coming down the pipeline!
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 03-16-2014 at 06:21 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by gonhunting247 View Post
    Just my opinion, but seems way over the line to me! I'm a little old school as far as technology though! I don't have the money to afford all that cool stuff,so I'm trying to drag everybody back to my level
    gonhunting, if you're a "Little Old School" as far as technology goes, then I'm "No School". I think the drones would take all the fun and accomplishment out of finding that Elk herd, that 15" antelope, or where that 30" Mule deer is bedded. Just my way of thinking.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    gonhunting, if you're a "Little Old School" as far as technology goes, then I'm "No School". I think the drones would take all the fun and accomplishment out of finding that Elk herd, that 15" antelope, or where that 30" Mule deer is bedded. Just my way of thinking.
    Amen Brother, Amen!!! That makes two of us!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It would be something to make people lazier. Imo we already have enough technology in hunting, like trail cam, plot watcher, gps with boundaries marked, etc. All the range finders built into bumps, the list goes on. Could you imagine what the poachers could do with a drone? Scary thought!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That is unbelievable! What happened to privacy? You can bet one wouldn't make it out of my yard!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mnhoundman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Absolutely no drones. We are getting carried away with the tech. Arent planes illegal to spot game in some states?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Anybody catch the segment on drones on 60 Minutes on CBS last Sunday night? There are many more out there than I would have ever imagined and the industry will be in the billions and employ a lot of people the way it sounds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Musket, very entertaining links. Anyone have any drone recipes they'd like to share? They look like they'd be a blast to take down, when the morning flight of ducks is over.