Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 6 Posts
    I was surprised to see how cheap they are... I think of all the possible poor uses for these and all the regulations that will have to follow. Thanks Musket for posting those links.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Those are pretty cool links. I agree that the drones start to take the hunt out of it. I also agree that it is a legitimate tool. Hunting is big business. Whatever can get the extra edge you need will sell. For me, like many others it sounds like, getting out in the woods and testing my skills and knowledge against the animal and trying to improve my skills is what it is all about. I am not sure where exactly to draw the line on technology and the tools. Drones, I am pretty sure would not improve my skills in the wilderness. Forget trying to read sign, scouting, etc. just search and destroy. I don't want to use a stone arrowhead with a homemade bow, but I drones I think are over the line for me. GPS and google earth and stuff has become an essential part of the gear, and sometimes I think that is over the line. GPS seems to really annoy me lately, and I am not that old. What happened to being able to read a map and compass and use landmarks and just being smart and pay attention to where you are going. I am not an expert woodsman by any means, and GPS is certainly a tool that could potentially save your life, so I carry one. I have a double standard on many things. If people would just realize that I am right even when I contradict myself ...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post
    Those are pretty cool links. I agree that the drones start to take the hunt out of it. I also agree that it is a legitimate tool. Hunting is big business. Whatever can get the extra edge you need will sell. For me, like many others it sounds like, getting out in the woods and testing my skills and knowledge against the animal and trying to improve my skills is what it is all about. I am not sure where exactly to draw the line on technology and the tools. Drones, I am pretty sure would not improve my skills in the wilderness. Forget trying to read sign, scouting, etc. just search and destroy. I don't want to use a stone arrowhead with a homemade bow, but I drones I think are over the line for me. GPS and google earth and stuff has become an essential part of the gear, and sometimes I think that is over the line. GPS seems to really annoy me lately, and I am not that old. What happened to being able to read a map and compass and use landmarks and just being smart and pay attention to where you are going. I am not an expert woodsman by any means, and GPS is certainly a tool that could potentially save your life, so I carry one. I have a double standard on many things. If people would just realize that I am right even when I contradict myself ...
    I agree with almost everything you have here. The one item I do believe in and use is the GPS with a land ownership chip . It is way too hard in a lot of cases to really know exactly where you are and who really own the land you are planning to hunt and how to access it. This IMHO is the one real benefit of a GPS I use. It is especially valuable where I live as there is lots of BLM that is ALMOST surrounded by private land that landowners try and lock up with illegal posting, fences, locked gates, etc.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 03-29-2014 at 09:01 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't think drones should be used for scouting or hunting. Our game herds deserve more respect than that. The great thing about some country is it's just darned hard to get into and that's part of what helps critters get big . . . At a time when tags are becoming harder to get (partially due to our increased efficiency as hunters), there should be no argument over this sort of thing. I applaud B&C and CO for banning the use of drones. Get off you lazy azz and enjoy hunting/scouting as it should be enjoyed. You wanna cheat head over to Vegas . . . I don't know how you can put GPS units in the same category as a drone. They both have a battery?
    Last edited by HiMtnHnter; 03-29-2014 at 08:12 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HiMtnHnter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah those landowner chips are very handy, I have run into areas where there is no fence, so signs, looked like BLM on an older map, but it turned out to be private and after that I went out and got the chip. Hopefully drones don't get to be as commonplace as the GPS.

I wasn't putting GPS in the same category I was just one of those deals where I got off on a tangent. What annoys me about GPS is that people tend to rely on them to find their way in the mountains. I understand that us flatlanders don't have the best sense of direction, but I have seen people walk off through the most dense bush and steepest route and walk in a complete circle because that is where the GPS said to go. It is a pet peeve of mine and probably way off topic. It seems that GPS has replaced having a plan and a direction of travel mapped out. In that situation it might be more of a danger because someone, even a resident, in a wilderness type area could really get themselves lost if they had to rely completely on the GPS and no other outdoor skills. It seems to be the direction things are heading with new technologies.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 03-29-2014 at 03:15 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 1 Post
    No. They shouldn't be legal. To me it seems more like an assassination of an animal rather than hunting of an animal. What's next, jet pack scouting and hunting?

My 2 cents

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes.. for wolves.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    Yes.. for wolves.
    That would be great, fly over an elk or deer kill and drop a teansy weansy little explosive!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's the spirit!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    The Boone and Crockett club has recently barred any animal taken with the aid of a drone from being included in the record book.

Alaska banned their use also!