Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hunting partners

I used to hunt with a buddy a few years ago and we did most of our hunting together and my question is how do you guys decide who is going to shoot first and get first chance at the animal if both have tags.

My problem is that i went on three hunts one antelope in montana one mule deer and one elk hunt with the guy and everytime we spotted a animal we wanted to go after he always want to have the first shot or first oppertunity. If there was an average animal he would say that is a good one for u and when the big one stepped out he would say thats the one i want, range it for me. We no longer hunt together cause of that fact. I am all for a buddy of mine shooting a great animal but how do u guys go about hunting with a partner in a situation like that.

The one thing i avoided it was i only hunt with my wife now and really enjoy it but she wont be able to elk hunt with me in wyoming in the bighorns cause her knees are terrible and have have found another friend that i would like to go with and have talked to him about both having equal oppertunity at a animal.I want to go for a fun experience and fun hunt not just making it all about killing. How do u guys go about this. Thanks for your advice

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I guess it depends on what you want out of it. I hunt alone most of the time, when I do hunt with others I am rarely right next to them anyways so deciding who shoots isn't much of a factor. When it has happend it is they guy who spots that get to choose.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Typically when I am hunting with others, I am more camping with them and we are hunting in the same general area so I don't usually have this problem. If we are together when an animal is spotted he or she who spots it first gets first shot is our rule.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hunt with my cousin and my uncle. My uncle has always had several friends who hunt with him. When I was growing up the adults always gave my cousin and I the first shots. We never were concerned with trophies the way they are. The way that they did it then and the way that we have came accustomed to is one guy sees something he wants then we make the stalk. If he passes then the other guy might take the stalk. but after that its the next guys turn regardless. If something happens really fast, or really close then we just get the animal on the ground and are happy. We are mainly concerned with having a good time and enjoying eachothers company. With that being said it would be hard to be second in line time after time. Finding a good hunting partner is harder than finding a good friend, a wife, or any thing else. One of the reasons I joined the forum was to hopefully find a partner or two, sometimes you will have to take a risk or maybe give up a trophy but its all part of hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    This is a great question. And definitely one to square away before leaving on/for the hunt. If you're spending fat stacks of cash on tags, gear, etc both hunters have a legitimate vested interest in coming home with meat/trophy.

My hunting buddy and I fell on- "you spot it, you got it." Rarely are you glassing the same immediate terrain, so whoever says "deer" Or "I'm on one" first, gets the first opportunity at that animal.

The key here- have a common understanding and expectation for how this process will go before you leave home. It will eliminate 99% of uncomfortable situations when you're both looking at an animal you'd like to take.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
    I used to hunt with a buddy a few years ago and we did most of our hunting together and my question is how do you guys decide who is going to shoot first and get first chance at the animal if both have tags.

My problem is that i went on three hunts one antelope in montana one mule deer and one elk hunt with the guy and everytime we spotted a animal we wanted to go after he always want to have the first shot or first oppertunity. If there was an average animal he would say that is a good one for u and when the big one stepped out he would say thats the one i want, range it for me. We no longer hunt together cause of that fact. I am all for a buddy of mine shooting a great animal but how do u guys go about hunting with a partner in a situation like that.

The one thing i avoided it was i only hunt with my wife now and really enjoy it but she wont be able to elk hunt with me in wyoming in the bighorns cause her knees are terrible and have have found another friend that i would like to go with and have talked to him about both having equal oppertunity at a animal.I want to go for a fun experience and fun hunt not just making it all about killing. How do u guys go about this. Thanks for your advice
    You can add an element to the hunt that will eliminate this issue. One guy videos while the other is the shooter. Decide who shoots first on each outing by coin flip. If the first person decided to pass on the animal, then of course you can switch roles easily if the other doesn't want to pass. The key is communicating the issue before hand.

The video is also a great thing to have to remember specific hunts. I love watching old hunting video- it brings back memories and also shows you things you don't see first hand. It is amazing how much tunnel vision we can get in the heat of the moment.

I personally like to split up to cover more ground- increases your chances that one of you will have success.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    The next question is, how do you split the meat? That is what ruined it for my old huting partner of 20 years. We always split the meat, the last time we hunted together he killed a bull in a canyon that took us over 2 days to get out. He never gave me an ounce of meat off that bull. I sure do miss hunting with him, but I just can't get over that one.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 4 Posts
    yeah i guess the best way is talk it over before you even leave for the trip that will eliminate alot of stress. i suppose it is better to split up a little and cover more ground and glass more area if nothing pick up camp and move. thanks guys i want my trips with friends to be fun, enjoyable and great memories not stress full.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with the above post by Retterrath, Talk it over before you leave. I've shared numerous 2 on 1 guided hunts with guys I didn't know much about. I always suggested flipping a coin for first right to shoot or refusal. Once had a guide tell us, I have a coin in my hand dated 1995 to 2005, closes one to the correct year goes first. Currently on a coin flip I always call tails because that flip got me a 8' GRIZZ!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I definitely agree on doing a coin flip well before the hunt.
    I'm hunting WY elk this year, and he is the only 1 of my buddies that jumped in on the points game with me 8 years ago, so I am automatically giving him first shot opportunity.
    I'm building points in other states as well, he only wanted to do WY so in the future I know I will have more opportunity on elk.
    If we are right together, he will have first shot. But if we split up a little it is game on for whoever spots a good bull.
    As for the meat, if we only get 1 elk, we split it 50/50.