Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    IMO the biggest thing is to plan ahead, discus everything you can think of, and have the best hunting adventure you possibly can! Be more than fair with your hunting partners, and the good that you put out will come back to you!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kesand72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by kesand72 View Post
    IMO the biggest thing is to plan ahead, discus everything you can think of, and have the best hunting adventure you possibly can! Be more than fair with your hunting partners, and the good that you put out will come back to you!
    And IF something does go wrong, have a discussion about it, and agree on some type of resolution, so it does not happen again. Life is too short to sit around sulking about something that happened 10 years ago.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sawfish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    The next question is, how do you split the meat? That is what ruined it for my old huting partner of 20 years. We always split the meat, the last time we hunted together he killed a bull in a canyon that took us over 2 days to get out. He never gave me an ounce of meat off that bull. I sure do miss hunting with him, but I just can't get over that one.
    That would burn me too!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Coin flip is what me and my turkey hunting partner always do at the beginning of each season. Whoever wins gets to shoot that day (if there's an opportunity) and the next outing it's the others turn. If you get one or shoot and miss, then it's the others turn. My buddy misses a lot that's why I have a lot more beards and spurs than he does

It's nice to know who's shooting that day so everyone is happy. I trust my friend to hunt just as hard when it's my turn as I do when it's his, so that helps a lot.
    Last edited by Alabama; 03-14-2014 at 09:42 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great thread.
    I'm with Timber, I am rarely standing right beside any of my hunting partners. We do try to have all the scenarios covered when its a possibility.
    Usually the person who spots it first gets first option.
    What is really sweet is when you pass, he misses the buck you deferred, then you let the buck trot out another 100 or so yards then drop it.

I told him if there are two holes you are burning the tag……
    my season lasted 8 minutes with a so-so buck, but it was absolutely worth it.

This trip I have the 1st tag, he gets all options during the second phase (next state/2 tags).
    Meat is always split right down the middle (including any costs), decided that one years ago.
    EXCEPT THIS YEAR …. cause he is flying and I'm "storing" his meat.
    Last edited by OregonJim; 03-15-2014 at 09:48 AM.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have not hunted with alot of people but the ones I have hunted with I knew pretty well before we hunted together and it has never been a problem. Usually whoever spotted it got first chance or whoever got skunked the year before or something like that. Its never been a problem. Meat sometimes we split it and sometimes we didnt but that was never a problem either and if someone wanted meat that didnt get an animal that year they always got some.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    as was said, coin flip at begining of each day. winner gets first shot op and the other calls. then flip back and forth thru out day. first day hunting, the guy who drove gets first shot op. when it comes to splitting meat just dont expect to get any at all. dont even ask. but when you get yours give him some, the less you expect the better itll be. the more you expect the more that will dissapoint. living here in idaho though theres allways plenty of elk and deer meat to go around. if i were traveling to hunt for game non local to my area then meat should deff be split between the friends. if i shot me a hog down in texas with my buddy id be splitting that for sure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If I invite someone to go with me, I let them know that I get first shot. If someone invites me, I let them have first crack at an animal. But when it's a mutual trip to a location both people have worked on, we'll either flip a coin on the drive there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    good point never... i had a friend invite me to his honey hole for deer a few yaers ago and while we were hiking up we jumped a big buck, we both loaded the chamber and i told him to shoot. i was locked up on the deer as he was running off incase he missed, i kept waiting and waiting and he never shot, buck was getting close to the tree line and iyelled at him to shoot but he didnt so before he hit the trees i dropped him. my buddy was acting all wierd as we were hauling the buck out and i finaly asked whats up and he said nothing man i was gonna shoot it is all. ha, he had 15 secs to pull trigger, and 15 secs is a life time when a big buck is runing away from you. i told him i gave him the first shot and he never pulled. how it goes sometimes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We always make sure all of the meat is split up equal. Also usually put all of our grind meat together at the end of the year for sausage making and divvy up that even as well. As far as who gets the first shot, whoever spotted it first.
    Bull Time