Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    The next question is, how do you split the meat? That is what ruined it for my old huting partner of 20 years. We always split the meat, the last time we hunted together he killed a bull in a canyon that took us over 2 days to get out. He never gave me an ounce of meat off that bull. I sure do miss hunting with him, but I just can't get over that one.
    Split the meat? I didn't know they allowed party hunting for Elk in Oregon. Enlighten me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Most of my big game hunting with multiple people is archery elk. There are usually three of us and one will drop back to call while the other two set up in front. After that whoever has a shot better take it or the others will be on him. Our rule is if you have the shot take it, as with archery hunting opportunities are slim.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Split the meat? I didn't know they allowed party hunting for Elk in Oregon. Enlighten me.
    ????
    I don't think anyone mentioned tagging another persons animal. I think most states use that as the definition of party hunting.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't think it makes a lot of difference what state your in.... when we get home we split up the quartered animals between all the party members equally. Guess it might be a problem if a warden came to your house and looked in your freezer. This am I had some antelope breakfast sausage....no tag anywhere in evidence! In 60 years I've never had a problem doing things this way.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Once the hunt is over we would split up the meat, if we were both successful there was no splitting. It is not illegal to split meat in Oregon, you can give it all to someone if you like. I have given entire deer to other families in the past.
    There was a time where he killed a bull about 2 miles from me, one his way out with the first load he saw 2 legal bulls, he let them walk, I ended that season without a bull. We didn't shoot each other animals, but we did share what ever we killed. I hope that clarifies things SBE

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    If you look in the regs CO has some interesting rules about giving meat away. they even include weights and alot of specific rules. page 14 in the regs.
    Last edited by Musket Man; 03-16-2014 at 10:20 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks Musket, we will make sure we double check those since I have to transport everything.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    All I can say is a good hunting partner for western hunting is tough to find. At least when you are a nonresident. I have been hunting out west as a non resident since the late 80s and had one good hunting partner for 19 seasons before he passed away. You don't realize how tough it is to find a hunting partner that is committed as you are till they are no longer around. We never discussed the splitting of meat or who was going to take the shot. I guess it was just a given that we would share in the hunt, the packing out,the processing, and everything else the hunt entails. As far as the shot we only bow hunted and either one of us was always up to call for the other and share in the hunt. I was always just as happy to see the hunt unfold in either role of the hunt. Life is to short to let minor things get in the way of a friendship.I struggled for two years trying to make sense of everything before I made it back out west.
    Since his passing finding someone that is motivated to hunt out west every year has been tough if not impossible. I cant tell you how many times in the past 5 years I have had potential hunting partners bail out on trips. When it comes time to put in for the permits they fade away. This year was a good example. For two years I have been talking to a friend that has been interested in hunting out west. Taking the time to explain things, giving gear tips etc. What happens the day before the permit deadline I get the call. Its a no go this year.
    So back to where I feel comfortable now. Even though it would be great to have another hunting partner along, another Solo trip will be in order for this year. If you have a decent hunting partner don't let the small things ruin it. Go out have fun and enjoy the experiences you have. You never know when you will wake up one day and get the call that your hunting partner is no longer around to share the hunt.
    Last edited by 25contender; 03-16-2014 at 12:21 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 25contender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I shouldn't have brought up my situation, sorry to the OP. There is a lot more to it than elk meat, too much to muddy up this thread with. I do however know how hard it is to find a hunting partner, I highly doubt I will find one like my past partner. Maybe someday we will hunt together again.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Timberstalker For This Useful Post: