Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wolf hunt

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oh, yes a lot of minnesota's take is trapping. Way more effective method IMO. NR also cannot really trap in MN, my last post was meant generally. I'm sure ID has more public land, but most of MN's public land is is wolf country. The minimum pop they have planned is somewhere 1500-2000 or something but estimates just a couple years ago were in the 3000-4000+ range which I believe far more. Look at how easily we fill the quota, I doubt that is happening with the population at the lower end of the estimates. I think you may find the wolves more evenly distributed in MN than ID as well. The prey base is distributed similarly as is the cover. I would say you may be more likely to SEE on out west just because it's more open. Much of wolf country in MN is very thick. Wolf hunting anywhere is a low odds game.
    Last edited by johnsd16; 04-28-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was really surprised to see the estimated number over 2000 wolves in Minn. I am sure it is a low, conservative estimate. Here in Wyoming, the wolf topic is still pretty heated, but I don't hear about the wolves in Minnesota a whole lot. It is pretty far away. With that many wolves, and a more populated state and highly agricultural state, you'd think there would be a huge stink about it and they would raise the quotas. Idaho killed like 3/8 or something of the estimated population. I guess we are pretty lucky here, we don't have a metropolitan area that seems to vote things contrary to the rest of the state (Jackson is just big enough for a balance kindof) . That is just coffee shop talk I have heard. It seems like the greater Denver area does that, and Seattle, too. That is probably a can of worms that should have the lid left on.

I have never looked into hunting out there in Minn., but it looks like there could be some good opportunities. I have some family is western Maryland and Penn. where the deer are thick as rabbits. Do the wolves help control the deer populations pretty well in Minn.?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post
    I was really surprised to see the estimated number over 2000 wolves in Minn. I am sure it is a low, conservative estimate. Here in Wyoming, the wolf topic is still pretty heated, but I don't hear about the wolves in Minnesota a whole lot. It is pretty far away. With that many wolves, and a more populated state and highly agricultural state, you'd think there would be a huge stink about it and they would raise the quotas. Idaho killed like 3/8 or something of the estimated population. I guess we are pretty lucky here, we don't have a metropolitan area that seems to vote things contrary to the rest of the state (Jackson is just big enough for a balance kindof) . That is just coffee shop talk I have heard. It seems like the greater Denver area does that, and Seattle, too. That is probably a can of worms that should have the lid left on.

I have never looked into hunting out there in Minn., but it looks like there could be some good opportunities. I have some family is western Maryland and Penn. where the deer are thick as rabbits. Do the wolves help control the deer populations pretty well in Minn.?
    MN has wolves in relevant numbers in probably half the state, so the more heavily populated and ag/livestock areas are not where they are. Less conflict because of that. Between the DNR and the wolves our deer are in rough shape in a few areas, winters have alot or more to so with it too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to johnsd16 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    we have a wolf hunt now in michigan as well just a few key areas in the Upper Peninsula. it will be interesting to see if with the lakes being all froze up this year if any wolfs made the track across the ice to the lower Peninsula.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think those min wolf numbers are way off. I bet Idaho has 2x that many atleast. Its impossible to count them accurately and F&G is required to use the min number.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    musket man, you are truly sitting at the crossroads of a lot of good wolf hunting. However there is just not as many wolves as people think and they are very hard to hunt. It would be very easy for you to spend time up the lochsa, or north fork of the Clearwater or st joe drainages.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    musket man, you are truly sitting at the crossroads of a lot of good wolf hunting. However there is just not as many wolves as people think and they are very hard to hunt. It would be very easy for you to spend time up the lochsa, or north fork of the Clearwater or st joe drainages.

I realize all of that and I plan on it every year and then I get busy and the tag is good for a long time and I say next week and next thing I know its to late. I even got a snowmobile over 2 years ago to chase them in the winter but money been kinda tight so havent got to that either. I was up the st Joe a few times in 2010 and only saw tracks once. I been thinking bout going out of avery area or elk river with the snowmobile. Wanted to do it the last 2 winters. Maybe next winter I will get there!
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I snowmobile a lot. you won't see one just cruising on the sleds. use the sleds to get somewhere and call sure, cruising, probably not.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    true story a couple of years ago. My buddy scared up a wolf at a place called bloom peak. Basically the wolf saw him and took off like a bat out of hell, and my bud was the only one to see him. so the next weekend I decieded to go in and try and find him. Well it snow a lot that week. I am solo. I go up the road looking for tracks. next thing I know, the powder is just awesome, and I find my self up on the ridgetop. I am looking into the delicious bowls I love to climb in. Next thing I know. My rifle is leaned against the tree. I drop off the 5 foot cornice into the bowl. start playing around. 30 minutes later after dropping off of the cornice a half a dozen times, I remeber I am solo. climb out of the bowl, grab the rifle and head home. God I love snowmobiling.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Might think of combining wolf/bear combo in ID. Bear tag are fairly cheap for NR. The Lolo Pass area has a lot of wolves. I saw wolf tracks every day while hunting moose last fall in 8 days. Saw one wolf, just too slow on the trigger. Lots of bear tracks too with a 2 bear limit and baiting is legal.