Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Broadhead

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Best Broadhead

I'm thinking about getting back into bowhunting , now that I have more free time. My archery pro thinks I should use a fixed-blade, cut on contact broadhead for elk. What are you guys using on elk???

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm using a replaceable blade, cut on contact head. (Wac'em) Never failed me yet on an elk hunt. However, realize there are A LOT of quality heads manufactured today that fly consistently, are extremely durable, and very sharp. There is no "best" broadhead anymore.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with BOHNTR with lots of good heads out there. I can say personally "Slick Tricks" Broadheads are awesome! I have been using them for at least 5 years now. With no complaints at all! I use the Magnum style. I have taken elk, deer with them. They fly true with your field points.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    toxic any bets this thread pulls in over 100 posts?????

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've seen some lethal results from Rage 2-blade. The only expandable I'd consider using.

I was a muzzy guy for a long time, my dad uses the NAP Razorbak I believe they're called, 2 blade w/ 2 bleeder blades, cut on contact, with rotating technology, he's had some terrific results with it.

I'm sure there are a ton of great options out there nowadays.

No broadhead is going to fix a bad shot...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    i haven't shot an elk with my bow yet but many whitetails and a few mules and i have used for the last 10 years are the tried and true 100gr 3 blade muzzys

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shoot a Slick Trick Magnum, have been impressed with the holes and the blood trails. Before that I shot a Magnus Stinger 2 blade and never had a problem either, good luck in your search.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    NAP Thunderheads have been my brand for 12 years.

Never failed me. I have used several expandable BHs over the years on deer with great results. Even dropped a calf elk in it's tracks with a 2 blade expandable Vortex once (expandable was legal there), but I wouldn't consider an expandable on an elk again even if it were legal.
    They lose a lot of energy and just don't penetrate enough. I feel like I got pretty lucky because that broad head was a wreck when I pulled it out.
    I don't think they are legal for elk most places anyways.

For broad heads…. you get what you pay for. Spend a little extra and get quality.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1shot7mm View Post
    I'm thinking about getting back into bowhunting , now that I have more free time. My archery pro thinks I should use a fixed-blade, cut on contact broadhead for elk. What are you guys using on elk???
    Recently my brother did some broadhed testing (you know the kind on Youtube were they shoot a bunch of heads into different things) and it brought me to a realization.

The real question should not start out "which head is the best" but "what style of head is best for me?"...assuming your looking for one that will give you the most penetration.

First consider your draw weight and length.

Lower draw weight or short DL (<27.5) Just based on what I have personally seen I would recommend on a true cut on contact head (not a poke and cut head).

Medium draw weight or avg/short DL (<28.5) I would look in a cut on contact head (true or poke and cut)

Max draw weight or long DL...then it really boils down to personal preference.

I have compared three people shooting with varying DL and draw weights from the same distances, with the same heads, with the same arrow there is a difference in penetration. My brother has a 26.5" DL and changing BH from a true cut on contact, to a poke and cut to a expandable there was significant penetration differences when test shooting at wood and at metal. Granite they are not an animal. I have seen his penetration on the animals we have killed together and have seen what an expandable and a poke and cut head have done. When he tested the heads I saw how much more penetration he achieved shooting into a metal drum with a true cut on contact head. So, we have switched him over to one (Wac-ems') and hopefully by the end of this years season I can report back if my hypothesis is correct.

Just something to think about. I have never read anyone talk about this kind of thinking...so I thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    125 gr Slick Trick magnums perform and fly very well for me.