Thread: Dry rub recipes

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 69 Times in 8 Posts

Dry rub recipes

Guys and Gals

If you wouldn't mind sharing some of your favorite dry rub recipes. I'm tired of the same ol. I did find one I really like at Sportsman's Warehouse it's called Kentucky Bourbon. It's my fav over the counter rite now. I would like to come up with my own. So any help on how to come up with my own would be great too.

Thanks
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 2 Posts
    I found some good looking rubs online when wanting something for ribs. I have only used one, Magic Dust, and it turned out amazing! Had a spicy kick to it that I loved and combined with hickory smoke, those ribs were amazing!!!

http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bl50617d.htm
    Last edited by tdub24; 03-17-2014 at 09:23 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tdub24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Venison-Fajitas/

^ the seasoning you mix together for these fajitas is really good no matter how you cook it. It does work well as a dry rub. (I skip the oregano)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Never in Doubt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I love ribs. I have a huge barrel smoker bbq. I exclusively use the side fire box for heat and cook ribs often on the thing. In fact we just did our first cook out Saturday of the year!!!!

The method I use is called the 3-2-1 method I found online after too many trial and horrible errors. This method has been the best ever!!!

Start with some spare ribs of your choice. I prefer either ribs from Costco, or Winco that are pre marrinated. Get your heat going around 200-250 degrees, and smoke as desired. Apple wood so far has produced my favorite flavors. Take the ribs and slice or heavy score the membrane on the back side of the rack between each rib with a knife, careful to not cut too deep.

The ribs smoke open on the grill for three hours. The 3 of the 3-2-1. Rotate the ribs every 30 minutes, and flip the rack every hour. Start with he rack membrane down for the first hour. Baste the ribs in apple juice and apply a generous baste of apple juice every 30 minutes when rotating the ribs. I prefer natural juice for this the Simply Juice brand is great! For a tangy rib, use apple cider cut with apple cider vinegar. Regular juice produces a sweeter meat.

The three hours is not a rule but a marker to consider. Watch the ribs as they smoke. If they are pulling away at the bone ends they are ready. If they don't start to pull away at three hours stop smoking them anyway. Sometimes heavy meat ribs will go all three hours, sometimes about 2-2.5 hours.

Now for the part 2 of the 3-2-1. Remove the ribs from the grill and make a tray of tinfoil. Make sure to use heavy duty foil for this. Wide foil works best. Lay the rack on the shiny side of the foil membrane side down. Lift the foil a slight amount to make it a tub shape. Generously baste them with your apple juice. 1/4 cup or more. Don't drown them but there should be some extra pooled in the foil. I usually add a dusting of fresh ground pepper at this point as well.

Wrap the foil length wise and roll the edges together sealing the foil. Roll the ends up so its now all sealed up in the foil. Back on the grill with em!!!! Cook them sealed up for 2 hours!!! Thats the 2 of the 3-2-1. Rotate them once at the first hour, DO NOT FLIP THEM OVER THE JUICE WILL LEAK OUT!!!! If the foil tears while rotating, re wrap them quickly. Don't let the juice escape.

After two hours gently and carefully open the tin foil and leave them on the grill. Steam will be coming out so don't get burned. Open the top so you can see the whole rack, careful not to tear the foil too far. Now generously smoother them with your favorite BBQ sauce. I love Stubbs sauce, buy sometimes I make my own.

NOTE: Don't put sauces on the ribs before they cook, it wont allow the meat to smoke properly and will make dry tough ribs. Only apply the sauces at the 1 stage of the cooking.

Add some smoke wood to your fire, smoke for 1 hour. Thats the 1 in 3-2-1 ribs.

When done....enjoy!!!!!! For some pre eating enjoyment, try a bite of the ribs after opening the foil just before adding your sauce.
    I hunt because......

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolftalonID For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    IKIC, Try some blackened saskatchewan made by Traegger. I think you can only buy it where traegger products are sold. It is a little like peppercorn +/-. Good stuff !

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BKC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    My favorite seasoning is Ravens all purpose seasoning. http://www.raventurkeyjerky.com/prod...poseseasoning/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Oakridge BBQ in MO. Specializes in wild game rubs. Hard to beat them. They have a sampler for free. They are all fantastic.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post: