Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Do you use the 220gr corelokt or the 180 for elk? I know you gotta use the corelokt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Geez, you guys and the big boomers, LOL! Give me a bow during the rut any day or my good old 06s if I go during a rifle season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A bow of any sort during the rut! It doesn't get better than that for me!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I respect you archery guys but I'd rather have my 300rum in my hand during migration anytime! The weather is way too hot during the rut!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My weapon of choice is my bow. Currently I'm shooting a Mathews DXT but it's time to upgrade. I'm looking at getting either a Hoyt Faktor or one of the Bowtechs, either the RPM 360 or the Experience.

I am not opposed to rifle hunting but love bowhunting! For my rifle.... That's a problem that I'm currently dealing with. I have a Savage 110FP in .25-06. Would it kill an elk? Sure, but it's not ideal. I'm looking at getting a Browning .325 WSM for elk and I believe I'll install my .300 WM barrel on my Savage and just run it like that. My rifle is currently topped with a Super Sniper 10x42.

Anyone have experience with the .325 WSM on elk?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    Do you use the 220gr corelokt or the 180 for elk? I know you gotta use the corelokt.
    Nope! I used to use 180 grain round nose Corelokts for whitetails up here in MI, but after I got into reloading I started using the Hornady SP or BTSPs in all three calibers I reload for (.243, 25-06, and 30-06) for antelope and deer and the 150 grain Interbond in my 06s for elk. The only manufacturer ammo I have now is some Leverevolutions for a little 30-30 I take out in the swamps once in a while up north for deer if the weather is bad and the shooting is real short since it doesn't even have a scope on it. Also, the elk rut in Wyoming is not in real warm weather for the most part.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    300 Weatherby Fibermark, with a 3.5 x 10 Schmidt & Bender, 200 grain Speer soft point. Never more than one shot, mostly black timber, but did reach across a canyon once on one bull that thought he was safe! After 20 years the barrel was shot out so I switched to a 300 WSM and use 180 grain nosler partitions. That Weatherby sure blessed me with a lot of trophies and memories. Also saved my butt once from a black bear that had a attitude problem!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My favorite time to hunt elk is mid September, my favorite weapon is not allowed at that time of year here. My choice is the .300Win mag, it's never let me down no matter what bullet I have shot through it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    my custom 7wsm topped off with a leupold mark 4 4.5-14x50 using 160 accubonds now working on a new load with the new 150 gr long range accubonds

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Gotta be a bow! I don't even own a rifle. Currently it's a Hoyt Faktor Turbo.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappy View Post
    My weapon of choice is my bow. Currently I'm shooting a Mathews DXT but it's time to upgrade. I'm looking at getting either a Hoyt Faktor or one of the Bowtechs, either the RPM 360 or the Experience.

I am not opposed to rifle hunting but love bowhunting! For my rifle.... That's a problem that I'm currently dealing with. I have a Savage 110FP in .25-06. Would it kill an elk? Sure, but it's not ideal. I'm looking at getting a Browning .325 WSM for elk and I believe I'll install my .300 WM barrel on my Savage and just run it like that. My rifle is currently topped with a Super Sniper 10x42.

Anyone have experience with the .325 WSM on elk?
    Knappy, I shoot a Browning 325 WSM and love it. I handload 200 Barnes TSX and get 2950 fps. My groups are under a 1/2 in. if I do my part. I just mounted a Zeiss scope on her and I'll be sighting it in this weekend.

The first elk I took with this rifle was a 6x6 bull at 60 yards in the timber. It completely lifted the front of the elk off the ground. Needless to say I was impressed.