Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 31 Times in 4 Posts
    someday I will get a bow, but the mountain biking and rafting is just so dang good in September, that I don't want an excuse to hunt in September. so know bow for me. rifle elk in October and rifle deer in November.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    I would love to be able to hunt Elk with a Bow, But with my Business, I can't get away till late October.
    So it is a Remington model 700 in 300 Win Mag for me.

Kevin

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rifle Remington 700 30-06 with 165 grain Nosler ballistic tips.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 2 Posts
    My number one weapon is my bow. My back up is a .270 Win with 150 gr. partitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have been carrying a hand-me down Weatherby 30-06 for about geez almost 20 years now. I love it. It used to be the only rifle I had, so it is my favorite. I also love bow hunting, but it is right in the busiest time of construction season it seems like. One day the bow might become my favorite. I will just have take the time off and not look back one of these years. I got a 7 mm for Christmas/Birthday that I am excited to try this year. I have had it out a few times. My brother had it rough sighted in, but I am a lefty and he is not so it was a little different. Not much though. I am not sure if that was the difference. This was a timely thread for me to try out the ammo people seem to like with the 7mm.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I really respect the guy's who have had rifles or Bows handed down and that mean something more then one just bought off he shelf. I never had one handed down except a ruger #1 300 win that made me bleed when I shot it. So now I have a few I love and my kids will get them plus they will get their own. Hopefully memories will be made.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BleuBijou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My pet 7stw semi custom abolt topped with kahles glass with handloaded 140 gr ttsx barnes over a stout charge of 7828sc or my kimber 8400 in 300 win mag topped with zeiss glass with barnes 180 gr tsx hand loads. I always take both to elk camp.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    I'll admit to vacillating between the .280 Rem & 7MM Rem Mag as best for everything rifle. While I own a rifle chambered for the latter, we're I accorded a do-over, I'd of bought a Sako .280 Rem & never looked back & nor would never needed another rifle. Regardless, in my opinion, anything firing a .284 caliber projectile would deserve consideration.

Next on my short list is the .270 Win.

I will admit that I don't like the idea of losing consciousness when shooting from a bench. Hand loaded .45/70 Govt rounds convinced me that Middle Ages cartridges and me are not compatible. I don't like being knocked back to feudalism.

Cartridges ain't as important as bullet placement. Destroyed heart & or lungs will work every time. Biology is controlling. Nothing living can remain in that condition sans its heart and or lungs. What destroys them is immaterial. That they are destroyed is.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 7stwluver View Post
    My pet 7stw semi custom abolt topped with kahles glass with handloaded 140 gr ttsx barnes over a stout charge of 7828sc or my kimber 8400 in 300 win mag topped with zeiss glass with barnes 180 gr tsx hand loads. I always take both to elk camp.

Just about in the same boat with you!! Have a back-up 7mm Ultra with 140 ttsx and my go to 30-378 with 200grLRX this year instead of the tsx 180's. Nothing wrong with the 180's. I just think the gun can do more and I am on the short side shooting 180's out of such a big case. If I was to have to choose one gun for elk it would be in the .308 cal. I agree it is where you hit them. There is also a reason .243 is min for elk here. You could kill one with less, but why. 30 cal is just a darn good overall elk cal. Nothing wrong with.323 or larger or .277,.264 or .284. Just good medicine. Plus with all these cals we get to buy more nice shooting weapons.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My rifle is a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker with BOSS. Dark timber is Remington Core Lokts, long range is Berger 168 at 3067 fps Remington 7mm. I use a Leupold VX-7L 4.5 x 18 x56. This scope works in low light. I don't walk as much as I use to so I shoot a little farther. I don't wish for anything different, if I changed anything it might be going to a .280.