Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I drew 38 rifle. Was wondering how much different it is than archery? I wont be able to scout before rifle opener and was wondering if anyone has pointers after the archery season is over and where to concentrate on elk for rifle season? Can someone still get into elk if they are willing to go off the beaten path and get away from the crowds?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey norcalhntr
    I will give you some intel once I have been up there. I understand the rifle hunt to be vastly different to the archery hunt...but lets stay in touch.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Springville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    couple guys i work with have drawn 38 type 1 tags and always come up empty handed rarely even see elk they say I've never hunted the unit for elk, spent some time bear hunting there in the spring and saw about 20 head of elk up high and then of course saw about 300 head down on private by dayton. The archery tag is one of the better in the state from what i heard and have seen some real nice bulls taken with type 9 tags. Beautiful country though and lots of moose!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Weather will have a large effect on the gun season there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Springville.
    You got it. I will stay in touch and no offense, but save at least one lil bull for me to throw lead at in October.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I drew a type 1 (rifle only) tag 2 years ago and at about 5 am on opening day with all the bull elk tags, all the cow tags and all the deer tags it was a mad house !! There are trails all over the unit and any where a horse, atv, utv can go you better bet a pickup truck will go there too except for the 50 inch trails, then it's horse, atv and utv only. It stayed that way all of the first week then slowed down on week 2. ( not hate'n...just, that's the way it is !!)

If it snows, and it snowed that year the elk will move off the mountains and won't be where you have scouted them. It is BEAUTIFUL country and there are a lot of elk but way to many people . There was some local outfitters camped at trail heads that knew the country and the elk because I did see some bulls in their camps. If you have the time I would go up there about a week or more before the season started and scout the heck out of it then set my camp up in a good spot just like the locals and the outfitters did. If I had that tag again I would leave the atv home and bring the horses !!!

You fellas with tags have a good chance for a nice bull but it is not a slam dunk by any means. I could have shot a few cows or a couple young bulls but I was looking for a good bull. I had a nice bull (340-350 class...Swarovski's... ) at about 100 yards with about 50 cows one night but it was way to dark and I didn't take the shot and never saw him again. Hope you all have a great hunt ! You should look around for a packer in the area because there is some rugged country there for sure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	9075 here is my 2012 unit 38 archery bull, my son drew the tag this year. Really had a fun hunt!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nice bull zia !! I found some places in there that rutting bulls had TORE UP !! I would really like to have a archery tag there !!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great bull Zia,
    We will have to stay in touch, and see how we do. Good luck to you guys this year!