Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Black Bear Recipes

After answering on Scott R thread. I was wondering what bear hunters do with meat. So far I have only had bear salami and pastrami. Unfortunately I haven't tried bear stew. What kind of sausages do you make using bear meat? Do you make bratwurst out of bear? What is your stew recipe? Do you do anything with steaks? Or do the steaks end up in your sausage?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 69 Times in 8 Posts
    Great thread. Look forward to getting some good info on this subject.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    My wife, who grew up eating deer and has grown quite fond of elk, never wanted me to take a bear because she thought she wouldn't like it. Someone gave me a bear that I had processed into pepper stick and burger.
    Now I catch flack when I don't bring one home both spring and fall
    We grind all the cuts and turn it into pepper stix and burger; which we like as much as elk burger.
    15% beef fat mix takes the edge off and allows it to brown off nicely.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    My wife, who grew up eating deer and has grown quite fond of elk, never wanted me to take a bear because she thought she wouldn't like it. Someone gave me a bear that I had processed into pepper stick and burger.
    Now I catch flack when I don't bring one home both spring and fall
    We grind all the cuts and turn it into pepper stix and burger; which we like as much as elk burger.
    15% beef fat mix takes the edge off and allows it to brown off nicely.
    Good info OJ!
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 43 Times in 5 Posts
    Bears that have been eating fish are just plan gross. You open them up and it smells like a cannery. On the other hand bears either black or grizz that are harvested in the fall that have eaten berries are goooood eats. Backstrap we steak, hind roasts, pepper sticks, burger, maple breakfast sausage, & what ever else we want. Grizz is quit a bit tougher than a black. Spring black bear that is right out of denning is bad, while one that has been out for 3 weeks or so is good. We bait spring bear in AK and us a 4 way sweet feed for bait to say "finish" them off like you would a cow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My favorite way to cook the Wisconsin black bear i took a couple years ago is to sautee the meat in a Lil olive oil and garlic, then let it cool enough to cut it into 1/2" bites and add it to a pot of Zatarains red beans and rice.
    When my girlfriends FAM, who had never had any type of wild game before tried it, they LOVED it!!
    I also slow cook the roasts/steaks in crock pot, strip it like pulled pork, n put it back in crock with a bottle of bbqsauce and it is excellent!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The three bears I have harvested here in Colorado had been gorging on berries, oats and acorns. Mostly acorns. The backstraps and hindquarters are cut into boneless steaks with all fat trimmed off. The rest is ground with no fat added.

We like to bread the steaks in Progresso Italian style bread crumbs and pan fry them.

The ground meat is good in chili and stew. (so are the steaks for that matter)

My wife makes a cheeseburger meatloaf with the burger that is awesome.

2 pounds lean ground bear
    3/4 cups Progresso Italian style bread crumbs. (can you tell we like those?)
    1/2 cup minced onion
    2 eggs, beaten
    1.5 teaspoons Kosher salt
    1.5 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
    3 cups grated cheddar.

Mix all ingredients except cheese well. On wax paper, pat the meat mixture into a rectangle.
    Spread the grated cheddar on top of the meat. Roll up like a Jelly roll, then press the ends and seams to seal.

Bake in loaf pan for 45-60 minutes at 350░F. (Internal temp of 160░F)

Can top with ketchup or BBQ sauce.

Delish....
    Last edited by ckink65284; 03-29-2014 at 12:13 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckink65284 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been fortunate to get to try meat from a couple of different black bears. I really like it!! The ones I have eaten have had a really nice flavor. I had a fellow I work with who did about a 25 pound roast in a wood smoker. OH MY was it good! A person could not stop eating it.

I've cooked steaks on the BBQ and they were wonderful. The sausage and burger was great as was to be expected also. I really hope I get a bear this spring!!

David
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been part of two successful bear hunts. Both bears were small, so they were made into a big batch of breakfast sausage each time. The recipe called for pork shoulder to mix with the bear, but we just bought cheap bacon and ground it in. Very good in spaghetti, on homemade pizza, etc.

We also saved a chunk of backstrap off the bear I got and cooked it up like a roast. It was the first time we had eaten bear, so my wife and I were a little tentative for the first few bites. The next thing we knew, our two-year-old was standing on his chair and reaching across the table to get more meat. We figured if he liked it that well, we all would, too.

QQ

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 6 Posts
    I have used at least one bear a year and agree with QQ on the breakfast sausage. It's awesome for tacos, spaghetti, breakfast burritos or just plain old patties. I think if you brown it real good, where it gets that crispy outside, it's really is hard to beat. My wife and step-sons came from a non-hunting family and they love it too!
    I saved a couple roasts last fall,because I remembered eating bear roast sandwiches growing up(Dad was a beekeeper and trapped them back then). We cooked them in the crock pot with onion soup mix and they were great! They didn't last long either, so it looks like I'll have to start saving a few out of each bear.
    I really like the breakfast sausage over summer sausage etc. because I have control over the temp when it's cooked. I need to learn to make the pepperoni and summer sausage myself so I know it got up to proper temp. I'm sure I'm over cautious, but trichinosis kind of makes me nervous. (kind of funny because I eat everything else on the rare side)