Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain biking

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by extreme minnesotan View Post
    I am also interested in getting a mountain bike. Anyone with great knowledge on brands would be great. I looked at a few and I defiantly can't afford top of the line but a good mid range to lower end is what I am looking for. Thanks
    Best advice I could offer is to save $1000 to $1500, then buy a used bike that would be $2500 to $3000 new. If you just want to pedal around town a cheap bike would do fine, bit if you are going to hit the trails for real a department store bike won't hold up very long.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by huntwhenican View Post
    You will appreciate a good mtn bike..just like good optics...ya get what you pay for. Get a hard tail, usually easier to pedal without suspension bounce (they may have fixed that, my knowledge is about 15 years out of date)..........get good brakes - OR- go reeeellllly slooooooow coming off the hill with a loaded pack
    I second this exactly! I have an old Diamondback hard tail and it works good, I have to replace the brake pads almost every year that I pack out with it!( I'm not much for riding uphill with a pack, I do a lot of pushing that direction)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ok thanks for the suggestions. I too will be spending that money on a spotter before a bike. Just for future reference to even to know what anyone thought incase I come across a steel of a deal. It seems when you are not prepared or have knowledge on an item, that's when you come across deals. I want to check some pawn shops out for spotting scopes so I thought it wouldn't hurt to know what to look for in a bike also.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ckink65284 View Post
    Best advice I could offer is to save $1000 to $1500, then buy a used bike that would be $2500 to $3000 new. If you just want to pedal around town a cheap bike would do fine, bit if you are going to hit the trails for real a department store bike won't hold up very long.
    Very good advice here. I actually got mine cheaper than that shopping around. My bike new was just over $2000. I paid $400 plus $125 in the bike shop for full tune. I use my bike for my work vehicle so I ride a lot. Helps keep me in shape and saves a gob of money not paying for gas in my truck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah Hilltop that is what I would like to do. Find a heck of a bargain and you just never know when that might be.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by extreme minnesotan View Post
    Yeah Hilltop that is what I would like to do. Find a heck of a bargain and you just never know when that might be.
    Find a great frame and the other stuff really isn't that expensive. Since I bought mine, I have seen similar deals on craigslist at least a few times a year. Find a college kid that NEEDS money and has a nice bike...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bike parks sell off their rentals too. The rentals are maintained meticulously by pro mechanics. Might see if their is one nearby.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    Find a great frame and the other stuff really isn't that expensive. Since I bought mine, I have seen similar deals on craigslist at least a few times a year. Find a college kid that NEEDS money and has a nice bike...
    Haha yes thats always a great way to get a deal. I actually had a four wheeler, more of a racing model, that was for sale on and off for 2 years. I finally put "must sell need money" in the ad and got more replies in 2 weeks than I did in 2 years.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ckink65284 View Post
    Bike parks sell off their rentals too. The rentals are maintained meticulously by pro mechanics. Might see if their is one nearby.
    I never thought of that. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 3 Posts
    love the sport. just got back from a ride. I also use strava. Fun app for keeping track of stuff.
    I probably take the sport a little more serious than the average hunter. I got 5 bikes. all for different purposes.
    As far as price of bikes. you get what you pay for. And the more you ride, the more you get the prices.

As far as hunting off of bikes. heck yea. works awesome.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1276res.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	9227

Name:	bikebull1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	9228

Name:	bikebullbike2.jpg