Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts

Arrow ** What are you concentrating on for the next hunt?**

I have always tried to work out through out the year in anticipation for the next hunting season. When I hit the age of 50 I totally changed my workout routine to work on areas of my body that have given me problems in the past. I still do a lot of cardio, endurance,and core exercises paired with some lifting. I started concentrating on my past damaged parts and it really helped out last hunting season.

Since I am almost always hunting by myself I am always concerned about hurting a old injury. The old injuries I worked and still work on were my ankles (I broke my right ankle years ago while jumping off a trailer) ,I injured my knee on a hunting trip back in the early 2000s but hunted on though it, and then I tore some muscles in my lower back while moving some logs on my property.
    For over a year now during my workouts I have really targeted these areas with specific exercises and weight training. By targeting these areas last season I felt fantastic and more confident than when I was younger.

Any areas that you really concentrate on.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 25contender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I hunted a unit in Oregon last year that has moderate to rough terrain. It was the late season and all of the elk were pushed into the rough terrain and private ground. I had studied the maps and noticed there was a large roadless area that was rough. The tag was a either sex elk tag. My friend and I dropped into the roadless area and busted elk the first evening. The next morning I shot a spike. My friend had a chance later on in the hunt and missed. We hunted that rough area the most of the hunt and we got into the elk alot. As the week went along I started to wear down. So I'm focusing on climbing hills and over all strength. I have already started eating better and I'm going to drop 40lbs. I had a great time on that hunt so I'm going to concentrate on flying up hills and getting to the elk. All I can think about is getting back on the hunt in better shape.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I tore my left medial menicus last Labor day playing paintball at my future son in laws bachelor party. Didn't know it was torn, i thought i had just twisted it. Finally went to the doctor and got the mri done, found the tear, had surgery last week and now just starting to walk on it. I have 5 months to get it strong again before I chase animals thru the woods. I managed to put on about 8 pounds over the winter so I also need to shed that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 6 Posts
    I have a Mt. Goat hunt this year, so everything needs work. Your right on about old injuries though, I've been concentrating hard on strengthening a knee without hurting it! It's had a lot of recurring problems so I really have to pay attention to it! As the other guys stated, losing a few pounds seems to really make a big difference too!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 2 Posts
    I've just started to do something different. Spent the last couple of years doing some running and lifting, but apparently not enough. Started a program kind of like p90x that I can do it hotel rooms when traveling for work and at home. So far, it's kicking my trash but already seeing some good results...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Will be going back to the gym on Monday after about 4 months layoff. Right ankle was really killing me and finally went to the Dr. After xrays he told me if he didn't know who the pictures were from, he would say the person wasn't walking! Had surgery a month ago. Removed bone chips, spurs and lots of scar tissue. Finally feeling a lot better. I'll start slow and see how it goes. My 72 year old body will need some TLC for awhile!

Probably need a new ankle in a couple of years.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Will be going back to the gym on Monday after about 4 months layoff. Right ankle was really killing me and finally went to the Dr. After xrays he told me if he didn't know who the pictures were from, he would say the person wasn't walking! Had surgery a month ago. Removed bone chips, spurs and lots of scar tissue. Finally feeling a lot better. I'll start slow and see how it goes. My 72 year old body will need some TLC for awhile!

I guess we are like old cars. After years of hard running, we sometimes need to replace a part or two. Good luck on your rehab, and I hope that you do not need to have further surgery.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts
    Are you going to rehab for your ankle. There are a some exercises that will help build up strength in your ankles. After I broke my ankle I worked with a trainer at the gym to get mine back in shape. Don't push to hard yet work out and stay consistent. You can strengthen up your muscles in your feet and ankles. You can do mobility exercises and stretching exercises to strengthen the muscles. Calf raises and the use of Bands helped me quite a bit. Once the pain was gone and the muscles were on the mend I started doing a little heavier workout using my body weight and a step.I then started using a calf machine with light weight and then heavier weights. Now I am up 4 sets of 25 reps, my weight plus my pack-weight on the calf machine. It took about 6 months to get to that point but I didn't push it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I've been working out at the same gym for 10 years. I have worked with a personal trainer there in the past and am considering it again. I start some physical therapy next week too, so I'll see how this all plays out. My favorite excersize is walking. I have a course that I usually walk in the am that is 4.8 miles and has lots of hills. I'll start that in a couple of months.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 8 Posts
    I tore my MCL and LCL last fall deer hunting(long story short had ponies pack my butt back to the trailhead), After surgery and the rehab stuff they make ya go through, I'm doing Insanity to help with my stability issues and doing 4-5 days worth of heavy weight lifting from head to toes and I ride my bike to work 4 days of week thats about 15 miles round trip. It's time to transform my body into what it can be, I've got several years of good solid hunting left in my body and I plan being in the best shape of my life.
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius