Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 7 Posts

Nevada predator project

Have any of you guys heard about that predator project in unit 014 that has started since 2004?? I just got my muley crazy issue and this dr Gerald lint talks about this project.

Results from this project has seen a 345% increase in tags over the time. The population had a 76.5% increase over this time. 52 mountain lions and 1199 coyotes were killed in this time frame.

So this project was working. But ndow has since stopped funding the project and won't admit that this worked. Ndow doesn't want to spend the money on the successful project. Also I learned from the article that ndow has no population goals for deer management areas.

Now this is all from the article and I find this amazing on what ndow has done. Good read if you ever see a march/April 2014 muley crazy IMO.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    Is there a link on a web site you could post that others can read if they don't have the issue?
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Nevada predator project

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Is there a link on a web site you could post that others can read if they don't have the issue?
    I will have to look and see if there is anything on muley crazy. Otherwise I don't know.

http://www.ndow.org/uploadedFiles/nd...duced-size.pdf

Page 18 describes the project a touch, but they say predators didn't play a factor.
    Last edited by velvetfvr; 03-21-2014 at 10:19 PM.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    I looked but only found one link but I couldn't get it to open
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I looked but only found one link but I couldn't get it to open
    Muley crazy only has the November December 2013 issue as the latest online. So probably will be a few more issues until it is on there. Bummer, its a good read IMO.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I know a little bit about the project, the number is now over 60 lions to date. I believe they caught one two weeks ago. This project took a doomed unit that used to have one of the best trophy potentials in the state that was over run with predators to the second highest deer capita unit in the state. It is unbelievable the turn around that unit has made and ndow is screwing it up by issuing too many tags for trophy potential to reach what it was. I have spent a fair amount of time up there to tell you the biologists take on it is not what the unit is. One thing I have to mention is the sheep population is striving there and I have personally seen way more sheep than the biologist says is there and that is due to the predator plan.

Funding ends for this project at the end of June, I wish ndow would follow the same model and use these guys in other northern washoe units particularly 015 which is 014s next door neighbor. This unit is worse than 014 was at the beginning of the project yet Ndow says there is no problem up there. I think there is a problem when you sold deer tags and not ONE single deer was reported harvested for TWO consecutive years. I also think it is a problem when you have a huge unit and only classified 250 deer. I have a lot of trailcam pics in that country and it literally makes me sick to my stomach looking at the photos of lions up there.

The only way this is going to change is if us sportsmen light a fire under Ndow and let our voices be heard!

The sad thing is if you do the math on money spent, this project gives back Ndow 2$ for every 1$ Ndow spends over time in tag sales. That enough should be justification to pick another unit and do work. Not just 015, but pull out a map and point, 031,032,033,021,022. The whole northwestern part of the state.

Rant over sorry.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drhorsepower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Nevada predator project

I agree 100% with Dr, I have spend a ton of time in 015 bird/deer/lope hunting and I have been hunting 014 since forever, it is my absolute favorite place to be in the state hunting or not. I have seen first hand the incredible amounts of sheep up in 014 thriving like Dr said. There is a big problem and this program absolutely should not stop.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NVBird'n'Big For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Let me clarify my point, I think the program has done all it can in 014, a new program needs to be started in another unit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I absolutely agree, what it has done for that area is amazing. The big problem when it comes down to it is the lions coming out of California. CA doesn't do s#&t about them and they end up in our bordering units 015,014,011,012,013. While the project worked in 014 thank God, the other units are hurting bad. I like to blame it on California's crappy predator management.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NVBird'n'Big For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    CA has a big cat problem state wide from what I hear. Where Im from someone I know had a horse killed be a lion last year. Some guys have lost calves there too. We never had trouble with them when I was there and I only ever saw 1 in all the years I lived there. With their stance on protecting them its only going to get worse too...... Really seems like NV's program needs to be expanded to the surrounding units now and keep the pressure on the predators in the whole area or they will start moving back into the first unit that now has less predators and more game.