Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts

packing up your gear

my question is how do u pack when u plan on flying to your destination. Im trying to figure the best way to pack my gear for the plane trip. Do i pack all my gear in a big duffel bag and put that on when checking in or pack gear in my pack and take it on the plane with me,but got to be careful whats in my carry on. Or do i put all my gear in the plane and not bring any gear in a carry on. Not sure what to do or how to organize.What do u think of putting all the things in my pack that i will be using in the field so i won't have to unpack and repack? i will be bringing sleeping pad, sleeping bag all my clothing, pack boots rifle, bins. How do i organize or put that together. By the way I would be heading to alaska for hunt in sept. First time flying for a hunting trip. thanks for any input.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    never done it but I have herd to take some essential items carry on incase you checked luggage gets lost. I would definately take optics carry on because of their value and to make sure they dont get broke the way airlines handle things.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Are you going with a guide or with someone you know? I have both flown and driven to my hunts out west. Of course driving is no problem. When I fly I send all my things including my bow ahead of time to a friend through UPS. I have friends that have been with guides and they have done the same and shipped everything ahead of time. If it was a non stop somewhere I would put everything on a plane but all my trips seem to be 2-3 different flights on tight schedules and frankly I just don't trust the airlines. Make sure you use TSA approved locks on everything if you go through the airlines.

I know a few friends that have checked their gear for the flight and they used the small shippable lockable footlockers with handles. They just pack it to the weight limit and then fill another. And they pack them tight with a mix of cloths to keep things from getting damaged.
    Last edited by 25contender; 03-22-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's what makes me so nervous is the airlines loosing my gun or gear and not getting it back in time to go out into the field. That's got to be expensive shipping everything up to alaska. So u shipped weapon pack knives clothing and everything up ahead of time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    To Montana I ship everything when I fly. Always afraid my stuff wont show or show up a few days later. Yes it can get pricey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
    That's what makes me so nervous is the airlines loosing my gun or gear and not getting it back in time to go out into the field. That's got to be expensive shipping everything up to alaska. So u shipped weapon pack knives clothing and everything up ahead of time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    When I fly my gun goes in a large pelican case with the spotter, binos, ammo, and knives, plus anything small I can fit in there. I have cut outs in the padding to protect the optics and gun. Everything else goes in my pack and I bring it as a carry on. Of course they make me gate check it but that seems to work well for me so far.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Those pelican cases must be able to take a lot of abuse?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I haven't had any issues with mine. They check the case at security, I get to ensure everything is packed just right , and then I lock it up. No issues yet and I've flown 7 times this way.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Spotter, binos, rangefinder, GPS, camera & laptop go in the carry-on with a cpl pairs of base layers, undies, socks....with a medium wt jacket.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a couple of the old Coleman steel belted coolers that I have fitted with marine type hasps that can be padlocked. Into those go duffel bags packed with clothing, sleeping bag, etc.. My gun case is separate and contains ammunition and knives, etc.. All of my optics are packed in my carry on. If I am successful, I simply remove one (or two) of the duffel bags, and put meat, hide, etc. in the lockable cooler. For years, I agonized over adjusting weights, etc.. My wife finally tired of this, and told me: "...Look, with what you are spending for airfare, guide fees, license, etc., why are you stressing out over fees for another bag? It is nothing in light of the total cost. Simple wisdom.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA