Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elk calling

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I have found that knowing what call to make and when is way more important than the call it self. I use a bugle and cow call that I'm certain no one else on here uses, it is not a user friendly bugle but the cow call is. The calls I use are "Deep Timber Sounds" calls, the owner and builder of the calls has videos to show you how to and when to use the calls.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Timberstalker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    In my experience the brand of call doesn't mean near as much as how or when it is used. Find calls that you are comfortable with and practice. Watch as many shows as you can but keep in mind the massive amount of editing leading up to that bull ambling easily into range.

I think one technique that is often left out is ground noise. Break branches, snap twigs, move grass. Elk are generally noisy so making a little noise while imitating one will help you sound more real. Good luck!

Thanks so much hilltop. I like the advice about making some noise. I bought several calls this weekend and I'm looking to trying them in the coming weeks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    I have found that knowing what call to make and when is way more important than the call it self. I use a bugle and cow call that I'm certain no one else on here uses, it is not a user friendly bugle but the cow call is. The calls I use are "Deep Timber Sounds" calls, the owner and builder of the calls has videos to show you how to and when to use the calls.
    Thanks TS. I just checked those out. They look really intriguing. I'll watch some of the videos an May try something less familiar like those calls. I'm going to be archery in GMU 14 in colorado this year. Which means lots an lots of jacks. It'd be good to sound different.