Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk calling

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Elk calling

Hello all!

It's that time of year again ! Archery season is months away!!! Unfortunately my friend who usually does the calling during elk season has moved away for work. I'm looking for any pointers as to what videos/shows would help get me in the game for calling some elk. I live in the denver area, if you know anyone that would be willing to do in person help (paid of course). Thanks again and happy hunting all.

Drew

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Hey drew, I'm somewhat in the same boat as you (new to calling boat). I've learned a lot from elknuts series along with Corey Jacobsen just released a DVD on elk hunting 101 which is great. Check em out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Drhorsepower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    hunter specialty calls, mack daddy is the easiest call for anyone to use. not going to win any bugle compititions with it but no elk sounds as pretty as those comp callers, and each call is so diff. go get one, wallmart should have them for way cheap right now being spring, 15 dollars cheaper then any local hunting shop. most fail safe call you can find. the miss mack daddy is also awesome. last year i started using the bully bull grunt tube, it too is one awesome call it comes with its own mouth piece but i took it out and use a mouth diaphram with it, this will get you some serious range when you are needing to locate elk on the now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 5 Posts
    I have used many brands of diaphragm calls, the ones that I like the best are the calls made by Bugling bulls. I would buy a couple diaphragm calls and watch videos on youtube. I learned by sitting in my living room and practicing all the time, my wife hated it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ssliger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you much DHP! I'll check those out

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    hunter specialty calls, mack daddy is the easiest call for anyone to use. not going to win any bugle compititions with it but no elk sounds as pretty as those comp callers, and each call is so diff. go get one, wallmart should have them for way cheap right now being spring, 15 dollars cheaper then any local hunting shop. most fail safe call you can find. the miss mack daddy is also awesome. last year i started using the bully bull grunt tube, it too is one awesome call it comes with its own mouth piece but i took it out and use a mouth diaphram with it, this will get you some serious range when you are needing to locate elk on the now.
    Thank IT. I'm actually headed to walmart to get some food so I'll have to venture to the back. Thanks for the quick response!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ssliger View Post
    I have used many brands of diaphragm calls, the ones that I like the best are the calls made by Bugling bulls. I would buy a couple diaphragm calls and watch videos on youtube. I learned by sitting in my living room and practicing all the time, my wife hated it.
    Haha. Ya I'm sure I won't be making mine to awful happy with the practicing but I'll give it a shot!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    dd, try the E.L.K. power bugle. A lot outtfitters use them in wy. they are real easy to get the hang of and make a good bugle sound. I bought mine from cabelas.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 1shot7mm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank ya much! I'll give'er a go this weekend

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 85 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ddress00 View Post
    Hello all!

It's that time of year again ! Archery season is months away!!! Unfortunately my friend who usually does the calling during elk season has moved away for work. I'm looking for any pointers as to what videos/shows would help get me in the game for calling some elk. I live in the denver area, if you know anyone that would be willing to do in person help (paid of course). Thanks again and happy hunting all.

Drew
    In my experience the brand of call doesn't mean near as much as how or when it is used. Find calls that you are comfortable with and practice. Watch as many shows as you can but keep in mind the massive amount of editing leading up to that bull ambling easily into range.

I think one technique that is often left out is ground noise. Break branches, snap twigs, move grass. Elk are generally noisy so making a little noise while imitating one will help you sound more real. Good luck!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post: