Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    We travel to Wyoming or Colorado almost every year from Tennessee, we bone out the meat put in cooler and ice it down and run duck tape around the cooler lid and never have any problem. Once home we will drain the water off the meat and replinish the ice throwing a little salt on it and the next day well process it ourselves using vaccum sealer. Always taste great ! It seems the salt helps !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Partially freeze the meat before sealing, you get all the air out that way. If the meat is unfrozen you get a lot of moisture/blood that makes sealing the bag very difficult. I've never had a problem with losing the seal when I partially freeze the meat, but I did before.
    Lately I roll the bags down and clamp them closed until the meat is frozen then I vacuum and seal.

I really like the idea of double or triple sealing. I haven't tried that yet.
    I also leave the bags extra long so I can re seal if it doesn't take.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I got tired of the cheap vacuum sealers and spent about $900 on a VP210 chamber vac. You never worry about moisture because it creates the vacuum in the chamber and then seals the bag. You can even seal soup or create an water bag for freezing. I seal a lot of fish and rarely have a bag "unseal". I now wonder why I put up with the other style for so long. Bags are about $35-40 per 1000 depending on size.

As for packing in a cooler.......I have made summer fishing trips down the Baja, when we pack to go home we layer ice/rock salt/fish. It lasts for for about 3 days with only adding 1 bag of ice, with daytime temps around 80-100. I use the foil insulating/reflective blankets and mold it to go over the top of the cooler (can't duct tape until out of Mexico due to military inspection check points). If you had the meat cooled and put in a plastic bag it would last for over a week in fall temps, in fact you might find the bottom layer slightly frozen.
    Member NRA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post

After I seal mine, I'll use the "seal only" function and seal them again once or even twice so that there are 2 or 3 seals on every bag. This helps to keep the seal for a long time.
    I do the same thing works pretty well for me. I also do the vacuum sealing on meat i buy from the store for those years that tag soup was the menu. Working at Sams club in the Deli/Meat department helps cause during Christmas we get a discount and it normally toward end of season so i can buy in bulk and fill the freezer with the portions i want if my year was unsuccessful. The other thing i like to do is buy a bunch of vegs and fruits during the growing season from the farms and farmers markets and freeze them into portions. Then i know were my vegs and fruits are coming from and normally at a better rate then the grocery store in the offseason.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    Lately I roll the bags down and clamp them closed until the meat is frozen then I vacuum and seal.

I really like the idea of double or triple sealing. I haven't tried that yet.
    I also leave the bags extra long so I can re seal if it doesn't take.
    Jim, I double seal both ends when I make my bags from a bulk roll. I forgot to mention that.