Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Those are Leica's though and they are right up there with the Swaro's....I used a pair of Simmons 10x50's for years, and got by just fine, but the longer I used them, the harder it got to look through them. I just didn't know better back then, nobody I was around was interested in bino's that cost more than $100. Its nice to talk about how clear of a picture the Bino's have and in a store its REAL hard to distinguish any difference between a pair of sub par cheapos and high end Euro's BUT what I didn't know but learned from Mike Eastman in his books and then on my own was that the high end bino's were easier on your eyes !!!

After looking through my simmon's and even my dad's nikons (10x50) I can't look through them for more than about 5 mins and I start getting a headache, the better glass is better for your eyes.. so when someone says wait to get better bino's take their advice, you're eyes will thank you in ten years. personally I'd rather spend less on a tent and all the other gear one needs. Ask yourself "how much time do I spend behind my glasses?" If your looking at deer for a minute or less every hour from a treestand then a cheap pair is prob all you need, but if you spend hours behind your glass out west picking apart drainages you will want good binoculars ! Just my 2 cents

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks everybody for the advice. I'm still not sure what I am going to do. I might wait until I can go to Billings and look at the Cabela's stock. The Zen Rays do look tempting. Does anybody have any more info on them? Thanks again

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Elkhunter,

I have received quite a few PMs about the Zens, and I think I will put some notes together and start a thread about them in the next few days.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That would be great. Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by SDbowhunter View Post
    Those are Leica's though and they are right up there with the Swaro's....I used a pair of Simmons 10x50's for years, and got by just fine, but the longer I used them, the harder it got to look through them. I just didn't know better back then, nobody I was around was interested in bino's that cost more than $100. Its nice to talk about how clear of a picture the Bino's have and in a store its REAL hard to distinguish any difference between a pair of sub par cheapos and high end Euro's BUT what I didn't know but learned from Mike Eastman in his books and then on my own was that the high end bino's were easier on your eyes !!!

After looking through my simmon's and even my dad's nikons (10x50) I can't look through them for more than about 5 mins and I start getting a headache, the better glass is better for your eyes.. so when someone says wait to get better bino's take their advice, you're eyes will thank you in ten years. personally I'd rather spend less on a tent and all the other gear one needs. Ask yourself "how much time do I spend behind my glasses?" If your looking at deer for a minute or less every hour from a treestand then a cheap pair is probably all you need, but if you spend hours behind your glass out west picking apart drainages you will want good binoculars ! Just my 2 cents
    There's a whole lot of truth in that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by dito View Post
    I got the Meopta Meostars for $825 shipped. From reading the reviews on Cabelas it sounds like they are pretty close to swaros. I live out in BFN so I've not had the chance to look through swaros. But what I've used of these binos I'm happy with them so far.
    I'm really happy with mine !! Cabela's Euro. Same thing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Check out Carson Binos. They are soooo clear and bright. And right on for the price. At the Western Classic in May, a rep had the 10x42's for around $300.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I saw a photo of Peter Capstick peering through a pair of Leica compacts. That sure is an endorsement!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a pair of Nicon 10x35 that are good.....but last year I made the decision to buy a Swaro combo monocular/range finder. I love it. I now only carry one set of optics, not 2 as before. The mono is 8x and crystal clear. The RF goes out to 1000 yds and does a great job too. I only see well out of one eye so it really makes sense for me. The only thing I have found that is a concern is that it uses batteries up pretty fast. I always have spares with me. I am totally satisfied.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I went with the Zen Ray ED2's and so far I am really impressed.