Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If it was me on that dream hunt I prolly would have pulled the trigger anyways. In all honesty I don't see what the outfitter can do on public land.... The DOW always says that the animals belong to the public, can he sue you for shooting a public bull/buck?

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think trophy fees should be illegal on public land. The wildlife belongs to the state and in a way the outfitter is selling animals that are not his to sell. Anyone with a valid tag could come along and legally kill that animal so who is the outfitter to tell anyone they cant kill that animal without paying X amount more. The guy that had to save for 5-10 years to go on his hunt should have the same opportunity with the outfitter as a guy that can drop another 10K without batting an eye.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I think trophy fees should be illegal on public land. The wildlife belongs to the state and in a way the outfitter is selling animals that are not his to sell. Anyone with a valid tag could come along and legally kill that animal so who is the outfitter to tell anyone they cant kill that animal without paying X amount more. The guy that had to save for 5-10 years to go on his hunt should have the same opportunity with the outfitter as a guy that can drop another 10K without batting an eye.
    MM,
    I agree but this particular ranch , along with the majority of ranches in Colorado, does not support large resident herds year round, they see the majority of their animals during the migration. There are very few ranches that have a single animal living their entire life within their borders. The animals summer on public land and migrate through the ranches, sometimes extending their stay if public pressure is high outside the ranch, then continue their journey to winter on public ground or on that ranch.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was thinking the hunt was on public land. I can see it on private land, not saying I agree with it, just that the owner can do what he chooses on his land.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    That just burns me what granby guy said about the retired guy saving his money to do a once in a lifetime hunt and then has a once in a life time muley stand in front of him and can't shoot it because of it's going to cost him another 2k or whatever it is,that's a bunch of bs if u ask me. It's starting to seem like to many people are getting greedy about the trophy fees. I guess that's what a guy needs to find out before he books that there is a chance there might be a big pay out and some people probably don't mind paying it but also probably have a few more Benjamin's than the average guy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Retterath For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Then the trophy fee just seems to be a trespass fee agreement if on private. Here, they could sue the hunter and get a judgment lien placed on them. Not sure how it is in CO.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    Then the trophy fee just seems to be a trespass fee agreement if on private. Here, they could sue the hunter and get a judgment lien placed on them. Not sure how it is in CO.
    That seems to me to be the whole problem

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've gone on a few guided hunts and researched a lot of outfitters here in Colorado and in Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah and Canada. I have only found a few that charge a trophy fee in addition to their normal hunt fee. Most of those were high fenced ranches and indian reservations. I would not hunt with an operation that charges extra based on the size of the animal you kill. I have also hunted in Texas where big game hunting is almost like a world unto itself. Lots of the ranches are high fenced and almost set their own rules....but that's another story.

All the hunts I've been on and researched have a signed contract between the outfitter and the hunter. It details what is provided and what you pay for that service in advance of actually leaving on the trip. The only other costs are tips to your guide and other camp staff .............if you think they earned the tip. As pointed out in other posts, the animals don't belong to the outfitter or the ranch (even tho they often think they do!). It is just not ethical IMHO for someone to charge a separate trophy fee on animals that they do not own!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Granby guy View Post
    That seems to me to be the whole problem
    It's not so much a problem here, but I can see where it's a big one with migrating animals.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Weather we agree with these types of fees or not it is our choice where we hunt and no one has to hunt a place that charges them. Obviously enough hunters dont mind it since they are able to sell the hunts. I will be the guy sitting under a tree on the other side of the fence hoping the elk cross onto public land!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post: