Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    With what I said earlier about animals on public land, I'm not changing my mind but private land is essentially different. The animals belong to the state as a collective resource but they if they are on someone's land then they are feeding, bedding and breeding on private property. Landowners must be compensated to keep the land in a condition that is beneficial to the wildlife. Farmers must be compensated for the feed that the animals consume or eventually the benefit of the wildlife is outweighed by the cost to the landowner/farmer.

As hunters we all know that the best way to bring a species back from the brink of extinction or to increase it's numbers is to give it value. Hunting value is about the best way that I've seen. These are the basic principles of landowner vouchers in Colorado, CWMU's in Utah, landowner tags in NM, AZ, NV, etc. Are these the solutions to essentially ensure that wildlife have a future on private lands across the west, I don't know. Some people like them, some don't. I just know I can't afford them. I don't however have a problem with them if they charge for access to the land and the animals. I don't even mind if there is a difference in price male vs female. Males are inherently more valuable to hunters (speaking in general terms not trying to offend meat hunters--I love a good doe for meat). But pricing by the inch is ridiculous!

I will never go on a canned high fence hunt or a free range place where I have to pay based on size. I don't like the idea of charging by the inch on private land, but it is what it is. As long as there is a demand for it then it will continue.

If Eastman's was footing the bill for a free range, private land, charge by the inch elk hunt would I go? Sitting here behind this computer I want to say no but I can't. I don't like the idea of supporting it but sometimes the flesh is weak when temptation is so strong. And a giant bull elk for free is a STRONG temptation. Using my money no. Using Eastman's money yeah probably. Sorry guys just being honest.
    You hit the nail on the head there Alabama. No one I know would refuse a free quality elk hunt for a trophy bull, but damned few would fork over the dough out of their own pockets for a "Semi-Canned" hunt.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I've seen a lot of hunting shows that were on the Hill ranch, but never really looked into any details about them. Generally most of the ranches that host TV stuff is way out of my price range.
    Yeah, the Hill Ranches are pricey Cowboy, so are the Reservation hunts (Jicarilla? Apache) and both have waiting lists for their hunts that are 5 figures.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've seen a lot of hunting shows that were on the Hill ranch, but never really looked into any details about them. Generally most of the ranches that host TV stuff is way out of my price range.
    I think that's where Eastmans' have gotten their biggest antelope.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Granby guy View Post
    Alabama, great post.

Something to think about though... The eastmans elk hunt winner hunts on a ranch that has the format of charging according to inches.
    I've actually seen quite the stink about that here amongst both the purists and HF guys. None really care if someone pays for a hunt, it just contradicts DIY public land being the only way to hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    I think that's where Eastmans' have gotten their biggest antelope.
    If someone else is footing the bill....I'm in. LOL Where is Ted Turner when you need him!!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If someone else is footing the bill....I'm in. LOL Where is Ted Turner when you need him!!!
    Heck Cowboy, If I ever got to hunt Teddy's ranches I'd even give "Hanoi Jane" a big hug! ( I know they're divorced)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Heck Cowboy, If I ever got to hunt Teddy's ranches I'd even give "Hanoi Jane" a big hug! ( I know they're divorced)
    I'm not sure I'd go that far. I'm probably a little older than you are and when I was in the Army she was in N. VN doing her propaganda thing, not very popular with many of us. But then again for a B & C elk I might make my memory fade a little. LOL
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What would most of us do for a B & C Elk ? I am afraid to ask even myself !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    He spends quite a bit of time down here on his ranch outside of Groveton.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I've seen operations where you can shoot a target of opportunity like a bear or deer for a set amount, and I can appreciate that there is labor involved in retrieval and skinning and meat care. To me that is fine.

I've never been on a hunt with the score based trophy fees. Unless something changed dramatically in my life, I don't want to.

Folks the best way to combat this, if you don't like the pricing structure, is with your dollars. Supply and demand still reigns. What I think you will notice is there are still enough folks out there that don't mind the trophy fee concept.

An earlier post alluded to the quality of Guides. I sure would support a tiered rank system for guides (Apprentice, journeyman, Master). When we booked with a place we had hunted for a few years, and were asked to "show the new guy the country" we were flattered but still bugged me that we were paying to train the outfitter's personnel.