Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Annoys the crap out of me

I have never been on a guided hunt but I am considering doing one down the road. While researching outfitters I have discovered a trend that just rubs me wrong.....Paying a trophy fee based on the size of the animal. I can understand this on high fence operations but not when hunting public ground or a free ranging private ranch.

If I were to hire an outfitter I would expect them to do their best to find me the largest animal that they could. I don't want to be on a hunt somewhere and have to check my bank balance to determine if I can afford to pull the trigger on the animal in front of me. I paid them a fee to take me hunting and it should be their job to find me the best animal that they can.

It really doesn't matter what I can afford but to save quality animals for the guy with deeper pockets just doesn't seem right. So what, they are going to profile me when I show up to camp and determine if they think I have enough money to warrant them showing me their top quality animals? They may be in for a rude awakening.

Part of finding big animals is luck ( i am not discounting the skill involved )so should I be forced into paying an exorbitant trophy fee when it was fate and not their skill or preparation that led me to this animal?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I agree with you. It sure seems that if you want what qualifies as B&C or P&Y you have to pay a crazy amount. I guess this keeps the regular hard working guys from booking with that type of outfitter.

Keep looking. There are many out there that do exactly what your looking for.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It seems to me that quite a few outfitters do it so they can keep their base price low, and then whack you with a mega surcharge, when, in the heat of the moment, you get the rare opportunity to knock down a big animal.

Who's gonna pass up a 380 bull, or a 200 inch mule deer, when he's standing right in front of you?!
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    It seems to me that quite a few outfitters do it so they can keep their base price low, and then whack you with a mega surcharge, when, in the heat of the moment, you get the rare opportunity to knock down a big animal.

Who's gonna pass up a 380 bull, or a 200 inch mule deer, when he's standing right in front of you?!
    Fink, you made my point. I have a friend that guides for an outfitter that has this pricing scheme. 2 years ago he was guiding a client from out East when they found a huge muley (200+) and even though the guy had saved for his entire life, and was on his retirement dream hunt, he couldn't afford to pull the trigger on that deer. Was that right? Nobody knew that deer existed prior to the hunt and the guy was crushed and so was my friend. So much so that he quit guiding for them after that season. My point is the guy paid his money, they never knew that buck existed, and he couldn't afford to pull the trigger.

And they never saw that buck again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Granby guy View Post
    Fink, you made my point. I have a friend that guides for an outfitter that has this pricing scheme. 2 years ago he was guiding a client from out East when they found a huge muley (200+) and even though the guy had saved for his entire life, and was on his retirement dream hunt, he couldn't afford to pull the trigger on that deer. Was that right? Nobody knew that deer existed prior to the hunt and the guy was crushed and so was my friend. So much so that he quit guiding for them after that season. My point is the guy paid his money, they never knew that buck existed, and he couldn't afford to pull the trigger.

That made me sick just reading the story. I haven't paid for a guided hunt yet although I have been considering a drop camp scenario.
    I would pass on any guide adding a trophy fee for a certain level of animal.
    To me that is what a tip is for !!!!!
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    That made me sick just reading the story. I haven't paid for a guided hunt yet although I have been considering a drop camp scenario.
    I would pass on any guide adding a trophy fee for a certain level of animal.
    To me that is what a tip is for !!!!!
    Well said, I agree 100%!! No way will I ever afford a guided hunt. Sure like to ride the horses to a wall tent and have a camp cook, but to have to choose which buck or bull by what you can afford is ridiculous, but sad to say they do it. Plenty of people out there willing to pay!! Each to his own I guess! We all have different preferences.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    That just burns me what granby guy said about the retired guy saving his money to do a once in a lifetime hunt and then has a once in a life time muley stand in front of him and can't shoot it because of it's going to cost him another 2k or whatever it is,that's a bunch of bs if u ask me. It's starting to seem like to many people are getting greedy about the trophy fees. I guess that's what a guy needs to find out before he books that there is a chance there might be a big pay out and some people probably don't mind paying it but also probably have a few more Benjamin's than the average guy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Retterath For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Granby guy View Post

that is so horrible. I would be so mad and pissed off after that scenerio. What a good way to ruin this guys experience and dream hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post

Was the trophy fee or surcharge spelled out in the contract? Telling you verbally or upon arrival finding out about additional fee's doesn't cut it. Take a copy of the contract and notes of all verbal conversations with dates and time's. Good outfitters don't pull crap like this and the ones that do aren't in business for long!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sundowners@5? For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundowners@5? View Post
    Was the trophy fee or surcharge spelled out in the contract? Telling you verbally or upon arrival finding out about additional fee's doesn't cut it. Take a copy of the contract and notes of all verbal conversations with dates and time's. Good outfitters don't pull crap like this and the ones that do aren't in business for long!
    Here are a couple of websites (Canadian) that are high fenced and do hunts where you pay by the animal size. If you really want to see a lot of this type of crap, look at the Safari Club's magazine. There are a bunch in the area east of the Rockies. I joined SC Int when I was President of our shooting club because they gave us a nice donation for our range improvement program. Only one year as I knew it was not for me.

redmantrophygiggamehunts.com deer-valley.com
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post: