Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Posts
    114
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Annoys the crap out of me

    I have never been on a guided hunt but I am considering doing one down the road. While researching outfitters I have discovered a trend that just rubs me wrong.....Paying a trophy fee based on the size of the animal. I can understand this on high fence operations but not when hunting public ground or a free ranging private ranch.

    If I were to hire an outfitter I would expect them to do their best to find me the largest animal that they could. I don't want to be on a hunt somewhere and have to check my bank balance to determine if I can afford to pull the trigger on the animal in front of me. I paid them a fee to take me hunting and it should be their job to find me the best animal that they can.

    It really doesn't matter what I can afford but to save quality animals for the guy with deeper pockets just doesn't seem right. So what, they are going to profile me when I show up to camp and determine if they think I have enough money to warrant them showing me their top quality animals? They may be in for a rude awakening.

    Part of finding big animals is luck ( i am not discounting the skill involved )so should I be forced into paying an exorbitant trophy fee when it was fate and not their skill or preparation that led me to this animal?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    3,884
    Thanks
    742
    Thanked 486 Times in 334 Posts
    Congratulations
    4
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I agree with you. It sure seems that if you want what qualifies as B&C or P&Y you have to pay a crazy amount. I guess this keeps the regular hard working guys from booking with that type of outfitter.

    Keep looking. There are many out there that do exactly what your looking for.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Blue Springs, MO
    Posts
    945
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 115 Times in 92 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It seems to me that quite a few outfitters do it so they can keep their base price low, and then whack you with a mega surcharge, when, in the heat of the moment, you get the rare opportunity to knock down a big animal.

    Who's gonna pass up a 380 bull, or a 200 inch mule deer, when he's standing right in front of you?!
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Posts
    114
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    It seems to me that quite a few outfitters do it so they can keep their base price low, and then whack you with a mega surcharge, when, in the heat of the moment, you get the rare opportunity to knock down a big animal.

    Who's gonna pass up a 380 bull, or a 200 inch mule deer, when he's standing right in front of you?!
    Fink, you made my point. I have a friend that guides for an outfitter that has this pricing scheme. 2 years ago he was guiding a client from out East when they found a huge muley (200+) and even though the guy had saved for his entire life, and was on his retirement dream hunt, he couldn't afford to pull the trigger on that deer. Was that right? Nobody knew that deer existed prior to the hunt and the guy was crushed and so was my friend. So much so that he quit guiding for them after that season. My point is the guy paid his money, they never knew that buck existed, and he couldn't afford to pull the trigger.

    And they never saw that buck again.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oregon Coast
    Posts
    506
    Thanks
    192
    Thanked 103 Times in 83 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Granby guy View Post
    Fink, you made my point. I have a friend that guides for an outfitter that has this pricing scheme. 2 years ago he was guiding a client from out East when they found a huge muley (200+) and even though the guy had saved for his entire life, and was on his retirement dream hunt, he couldn't afford to pull the trigger on that deer. Was that right? Nobody knew that deer existed prior to the hunt and the guy was crushed and so was my friend. So much so that he quit guiding for them after that season. My point is the guy paid his money, they never knew that buck existed, and he couldn't afford to pull the trigger.

    And they never saw that buck again.
    That made me sick just reading the story. I haven't paid for a guided hunt yet although I have been considering a drop camp scenario.
    I would pass on any guide adding a trophy fee for a certain level of animal.
    To me that is what a tip is for !!!!!
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    393
    Thanks
    98
    Thanked 53 Times in 49 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    That made me sick just reading the story. I haven't paid for a guided hunt yet although I have been considering a drop camp scenario.
    I would pass on any guide adding a trophy fee for a certain level of animal.
    To me that is what a tip is for !!!!!
    Well said, I agree 100%!! No way will I ever afford a guided hunt. Sure like to ride the horses to a wall tent and have a camp cook, but to have to choose which buck or bull by what you can afford is ridiculous, but sad to say they do it. Plenty of people out there willing to pay!! Each to his own I guess! We all have different preferences.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    393
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 51 Times in 49 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    That just burns me what granby guy said about the retired guy saving his money to do a once in a lifetime hunt and then has a once in a life time muley stand in front of him and can't shoot it because of it's going to cost him another 2k or whatever it is,that's a bunch of bs if u ask me. It's starting to seem like to many people are getting greedy about the trophy fees. I guess that's what a guy needs to find out before he books that there is a chance there might be a big pay out and some people probably don't mind paying it but also probably have a few more Benjamin's than the average guy.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Retterath For This Useful Post:


  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    855
    Thanks
    276
    Thanked 113 Times in 105 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Granby guy View Post
    Fink, you made my point. I have a friend that guides for an outfitter that has this pricing scheme. 2 years ago he was guiding a client from out East when they found a huge muley (200+) and even though the guy had saved for his entire life, and was on his retirement dream hunt, he couldn't afford to pull the trigger on that deer. Was that right? Nobody knew that deer existed prior to the hunt and the guy was crushed and so was my friend. So much so that he quit guiding for them after that season. My point is the guy paid his money, they never knew that buck existed, and he couldn't afford to pull the trigger.

    And they never saw that buck again.
    that is so horrible. I would be so mad and pissed off after that scenerio. What a good way to ruin this guys experience and dream hunt.

  10. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    It seems to me that quite a few outfitters do it so they can keep their base price low, and then whack you with a mega surcharge, when, in the heat of the moment, you get the rare opportunity to knock down a big animal.

    Who's gonna pass up a 380 bull, or a 200 inch mule deer, when he's standing right in front of you?!
    Was the trophy fee or surcharge spelled out in the contract? Telling you verbally or upon arrival finding out about additional fee's doesn't cut it. Take a copy of the contract and notes of all verbal conversations with dates and time's. Good outfitters don't pull crap like this and the ones that do aren't in business for long!

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sundowners@5? For This Useful Post:


  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dolores, Colorado
    Posts
    2,347
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 326 Times in 255 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundowners@5? View Post
    Was the trophy fee or surcharge spelled out in the contract? Telling you verbally or upon arrival finding out about additional fee's doesn't cut it. Take a copy of the contract and notes of all verbal conversations with dates and time's. Good outfitters don't pull crap like this and the ones that do aren't in business for long!
    Here are a couple of websites (Canadian) that are high fenced and do hunts where you pay by the animal size. If you really want to see a lot of this type of crap, look at the Safari Club's magazine. There are a bunch in the area east of the Rockies. I joined SC Int when I was President of our shooting club because they gave us a nice donation for our range improvement program. Only one year as I knew it was not for me.

    redmantrophygiggamehunts.com deer-valley.com
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Holy crap wyoming!!
    By NDHunter in forum Wyoming
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 10-20-2012, 12:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •