Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts

Annoys the crap out of me

I have never been on a guided hunt but I am considering doing one down the road. While researching outfitters I have discovered a trend that just rubs me wrong.....Paying a trophy fee based on the size of the animal. I can understand this on high fence operations but not when hunting public ground or a free ranging private ranch.

If I were to hire an outfitter I would expect them to do their best to find me the largest animal that they could. I don't want to be on a hunt somewhere and have to check my bank balance to determine if I can afford to pull the trigger on the animal in front of me. I paid them a fee to take me hunting and it should be their job to find me the best animal that they can.

It really doesn't matter what I can afford but to save quality animals for the guy with deeper pockets just doesn't seem right. So what, they are going to profile me when I show up to camp and determine if they think I have enough money to warrant them showing me their top quality animals? They may be in for a rude awakening.

Part of finding big animals is luck ( i am not discounting the skill involved )so should I be forced into paying an exorbitant trophy fee when it was fate and not their skill or preparation that led me to this animal?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 6 Posts
    I agree with you. It sure seems that if you want what qualifies as B&C or P&Y you have to pay a crazy amount. I guess this keeps the regular hard working guys from booking with that type of outfitter.

Keep looking. There are many out there that do exactly what your looking for.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    It seems to me that quite a few outfitters do it so they can keep their base price low, and then whack you with a mega surcharge, when, in the heat of the moment, you get the rare opportunity to knock down a big animal.

Who's gonna pass up a 380 bull, or a 200 inch mule deer, when he's standing right in front of you?!
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    On private land I think they can do what they want, but on public land its just not right to me. I would never book with an outfitter that did that if I was looking for a guided hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    It seems to me that quite a few outfitters do it so they can keep their base price low, and then whack you with a mega surcharge, when, in the heat of the moment, you get the rare opportunity to knock down a big animal.

Who's gonna pass up a 380 bull, or a 200 inch mule deer, when he's standing right in front of you?!
    Fink, you made my point. I have a friend that guides for an outfitter that has this pricing scheme. 2 years ago he was guiding a client from out East when they found a huge muley (200+) and even though the guy had saved for his entire life, and was on his retirement dream hunt, he couldn't afford to pull the trigger on that deer. Was that right? Nobody knew that deer existed prior to the hunt and the guy was crushed and so was my friend. So much so that he quit guiding for them after that season. My point is the guy paid his money, they never knew that buck existed, and he couldn't afford to pull the trigger.

And they never saw that buck again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    On private land I think they can do what they want, but on public land its just not right to me. I would never book with an outfitter that did that if I was looking for a guided hunt.
    Yep. It's common practice on the private ranches down here that book hunts. It's why most folks lease so they can shoot what they want (within reason).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    That ain't right, if I ever get my outfitting business I would never even think about this, if I have a million dollar client pull the trigger on a small bull/ buck his choice, then have a every day joe shoot a once in a lifetime animal I'd be happy, personally I'm out for the average joe and don't feel that having a trophy fee is even right. You pay up to 4,5,6 grand then gotta pay another couple grand jus to shoot the bull/buck that walks out. Hell no it's partially luck I'd rather that trophy fee be more of a tip for my guide getting the hunter on a big bull/buck. Honestly how many outfitters would give much of that trophy fee to their guide? Every outfitter I've ever worked for did not do a trophy fee, one guy only charged you an extra 1200 if you shot ur elk then a buck, but he required you shoot it elk before a deer. Just how he runs an no one ever complained but he was mostly elk and only does maybe 2 bucks a year.

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Granby guy View Post
    Fink, you made my point. I have a friend that guides for an outfitter that has this pricing scheme. 2 years ago he was guiding a client from out East when they found a huge muley (200+) and even though the guy had saved for his entire life, and was on his retirement dream hunt, he couldn't afford to pull the trigger on that deer. Was that right? Nobody knew that deer existed prior to the hunt and the guy was crushed and so was my friend. So much so that he quit guiding for them after that season. My point is the guy paid his money, they never knew that buck existed, and he couldn't afford to pull the trigger.

And they never saw that buck again.
    That made me sick just reading the story. I haven't paid for a guided hunt yet although I have been considering a drop camp scenario.
    I would pass on any guide adding a trophy fee for a certain level of animal.
    To me that is what a tip is for !!!!!
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    That made me sick just reading the story. I haven't paid for a guided hunt yet although I have been considering a drop camp scenario.
    I would pass on any guide adding a trophy fee for a certain level of animal.
    To me that is what a tip is for !!!!!
    Well said, I agree 100%!! No way will I ever afford a guided hunt. Sure like to ride the horses to a wall tent and have a camp cook, but to have to choose which buck or bull by what you can afford is ridiculous, but sad to say they do it. Plenty of people out there willing to pay!! Each to his own I guess! We all have different preferences.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm with you guys if on public land they should not be able to charge trophy fees!