Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Granby guy View Post
    Fink, you made my point. I have a friend that guides for an outfitter that has this pricing scheme. 2 years ago he was guiding a client from out East when they found a huge muley (200+) and even though the guy had saved for his entire life, and was on his retirement dream hunt, he couldn't afford to pull the trigger on that deer. Was that right? Nobody knew that deer existed prior to the hunt and the guy was crushed and so was my friend. So much so that he quit guiding for them after that season. My point is the guy paid his money, they never knew that buck existed, and he couldn't afford to pull the trigger.

And they never saw that buck again.
    that is so horrible. I would be so mad and pissed off after that scenerio. What a good way to ruin this guys experience and dream hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I think trophy fees should be illegal on public land. The wildlife belongs to the state and in a way the outfitter is selling animals that are not his to sell. Anyone with a valid tag could come along and legally kill that animal so who is the outfitter to tell anyone they cant kill that animal without paying X amount more. The guy that had to save for 5-10 years to go on his hunt should have the same opportunity with the outfitter as a guy that can drop another 10K without batting an eye.
    I completely agree with you on this one MM

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I think trophy fees should be illegal on public land. The wildlife belongs to the state and in a way the outfitter is selling animals that are not his to sell. Anyone with a valid tag could come along and legally kill that animal so who is the outfitter to tell anyone they cant kill that animal without paying X amount more. The guy that had to save for 5-10 years to go on his hunt should have the same opportunity with the outfitter as a guy that can drop another 10K without batting an eye.
    Agreed.

Wildlife belongs to the state only when it benefits them. What about when you hit an animal with your car? No one takes claim for it then, whether it be state or the private ranch that was home to the wild animal before it committed suicide. I know this is off topic and sorry about that, but what about animal attacks. Does the state pay for that? I bring this up because if someone got hurt on a private ranch by their livestock, pet, or something else isn't the owner responsible?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to extreme minnesotan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The whole deal of adding to cost to the size aninmal really makes me sick ! I have been lucky enough to be drawn for tags that I knew I might never get the chance to do again and so was able to afford a guide, but my senerio was like a lot of other lucky hunters, my guide made hold off on a couple of big bulls because he thought we could do better and we did. NO EXTRA CHARGE !!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What if...say a big bull or big buck bolts through the trees and a guy has only seconds to react? Does the guide call a "time-out" to assess the B&C score? What nonsense. You paid for the hunt, and the outfitter doesn't own the animals..the public does.
    Although I know a few Outfitters who think they own them. Can you say "Hunting is becoming a RICH man's sport? My $0.02.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by extreme minnesotan View Post
    Agreed.

Wildlife belongs to the state only when it benefits them. What about when you hit an animal with your car? No one takes claim for it then
    We are lucky the state doesnt charge us for killing their animal with out car, plus fines for killing it out of season with with no tag, not to mention the use of artificial light in many cases. LOL
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    It seems to me that quite a few outfitters do it so they can keep their base price low, and then whack you with a mega surcharge, when, in the heat of the moment, you get the rare opportunity to knock down a big animal.

Who's gonna pass up a 380 bull, or a 200 inch mule deer, when he's standing right in front of you?!
    Was the trophy fee or surcharge spelled out in the contract? Telling you verbally or upon arrival finding out about additional fee's doesn't cut it. Take a copy of the contract and notes of all verbal conversations with dates and time's. Good outfitters don't pull crap like this and the ones that do aren't in business for long!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sundowners@5? For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundowners@5? View Post
    Was the trophy fee or surcharge spelled out in the contract? Telling you verbally or upon arrival finding out about additional fee's doesn't cut it. Take a copy of the contract and notes of all verbal conversations with dates and time's. Good outfitters don't pull crap like this and the ones that do aren't in business for long!
    Here are a couple of websites (Canadian) that are high fenced and do hunts where you pay by the animal size. If you really want to see a lot of this type of crap, look at the Safari Club's magazine. There are a bunch in the area east of the Rockies. I joined SC Int when I was President of our shooting club because they gave us a nice donation for our range improvement program. Only one year as I knew it was not for me.

redmantrophygiggamehunts.com deer-valley.com
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 8 Posts
    I was an SCI member for 1 year and knew it was not for me either..... I have nothing against them and I think they do alot of good things, I just couldnt get past all the big fences.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    This is the way they do it in Europe. I've never been there, but on all the shows I've seen they charge by the inch (probably by the mm as they use the metric system). Craig Boddington writes for a couple magazines and I recall him not shooting a giant ibex in Spain because he couldn't afford it. That resonated deeply with me. I probably couldn't afford it anyway (even if they didn't charge trophy fees) but I'll damn sure never hunt there as long as this practice continues.

Trophy fees on private land in the US are here to stay, but on public land they should have never existed. Wildlife is owned by the people. They are a common resource that should be managed by science and enjoyed by everyone: not just hunters, not just photographers, not just tree hugging hippies, but Everyone! Animals on Public land should not be exploited or profited from by individuals. A guide or outfitter should not get paid for the size of the animal. They should get paid for the camp conditions, food prep, scouting and knowledge of the land, and general hard work hunting trying to get the client an animal that he/she can be proud of. If they go above and beyond the call of duty to find, or just get lucky and stumble upon a world class specimen and the client kills it, then the client should tip well to show their appreciation.

Just my $.02

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post: