Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New Mexico? What say you?

New Mexico Department of Game and Fish
    Media contact: Rachel Shockley, (505) 476-8071
    Public contact: (888) 268-6866
    rachel.shockley@state.nm.us

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, MARCH 26 2014:

APPLICANTS FOR BIGHORN SHEEP, ORYX AND IBEX HUNTING LICENSES ELIGIBLE FOR FULL REFUNDS

SANTA FE – Hunters who applied for bighorn sheep, oryx or ibex licenses for the 2014-15 seasons and are unsuccessful in the drawings will be eligible for full refunds of application fees and license fees, the Department of Game and Fish announced Wednesday.

Application fees normally are nonrefundable whether a license applicant is successful or not. This year’s departure from that practice is in response to Monday’s ruling in U.S. District Court that vacated a 1977 injunction that prohibited the Department from applying preferential quotas that benefitted state residents in drawings for bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex licenses. The injunction allowed nonresidents to enjoy the same odds as residents when applying for those species.

Because of Monday’s ruling, the Department will begin applying the same quotas this year to bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex applications as it applies to deer, elk, pronghorn antelope and Barbary sheep. According to those quotas, 84 percent of licenses are allocated to New Mexico residents, 6 percent are allocated to nonresidents, and 10 percent are allocated to applicants – residents and nonresidents – who use New Mexico outfitters.

Applicants for bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex who choose not to participate in the new quota system must delete their applications by April 18. Applications can be deleted through online accounts or by telephone toll-free, (888) 268-6866.

“The Department determined that it will be most equitable to refund the normally nonrefundable application fees to applicants who are unsuccessful or who choose to withdraw their application due to changes resulting from the recent court decision, and to comply immediately with state law,” Department General Counsel Allison Marks said.

Because the option to apply with outfitters was not offered on this year’s application forms, hunters who would like to designate a valid outfitter will be able to do so and join the 10 percent license allocation pool. To add a New Mexico outfitter to an application, the applicant will be required to call the Department and provide the application number, customer identification number and the outfitter number no later than April 18.

The court ruling prompted the Department to delay this year’s drawing by approximately one week. Drawing results will be available no later than April 30.

For more information about the drawing, refunds and the application process, please call the Department toll-free, (888) 268-6866.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just got this email as well. I feel like it's better for NM residents but still feel like it's a wash in the long run when you consider how difficult the odds are. I doubt this will raise odds for NM residents over 1%.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    With the limited number of tags and only 6% for DIY NR's will there even be any tags available to draw? Seems like they might as well just close the whole stare to NR's........
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Better odds for residents and non-residents alike?
    I say just make everyone pay the $3k tag fee.

Think that would help resident odds?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Do you think making everyone front that tag fee would thin out the applicants? I don't think you should use the cost to thin out possible applicants personally. I have no issues with any hunter having a chance to draw, even if it limits my odds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This will make it all better! Yeah right

Thanks
    Congratulations
    also what if you have 1 outfitter lined up for desert bighorn and another for rocky mtn bighorn? how's that work?

This stuff could be so much simpler and yet we keep trying to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltsheets View Post
    Do you think making everyone front that tag fee would thin out the applicants? I don't think you should use the cost to thin out possible applicants personally. I have no issues with any hunter having a chance to draw, even if it limits my odds.
    With the new NR quota of nothing to almost nothing having to front the tag fee would drastically reduce applicants. 1 down fall to any state that doesnt make you front tag fees is there are alot more applicants because once you buy the hunting license to apply it dont cost much more to apply for everything you possibly can. Im not saying Im against not having to front the tag fee just that it attracts alot more applicants
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    With the new NR quota of nothing to almost nothing having to front the tag fee would drastically reduce applicants. 1 down fall to any state that doesnt make you front tag fees is there are alot more applicants because once you buy the hunting license to apply it dont cost much more to apply for everything you possibly can. Im not saying Im against not having to front the tag fee just that it attracts alot more applicants
    I hear ya.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD