Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 50 Times in 7 Posts
    Just to say it again, there is not much you are going to find in other states, that you don't already have in Wyoming. Fantastic hunting state.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Just to say it again, there is not much you are going to find in other states, that you don't already have in Wyoming. Fantastic hunting state.
    I'd missed you were in Wyoming. In that case I'd hunt everything you can in state, build the points for the ones you can, and do trips to places markedly different than the Mountain west. California blacktail in July, Hawaiian Axis, British Columbia Mountain goat, Alaska Caribou, etc.

There are lots of people around the country who wouldn't mind trading hunts with you. I think I'd be less inclined to tie up a bunch of money in points and applications for deer and elk hunts that may not measure up to an OTC area hunt in your home state. Just hunt as much as you can.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 2 Posts
    I definitely say that your in one of if not the best state as a resident. I'd save for trips to AK and Canada and maybe hunt some easy draw or OTC hunts in other states to fill in as needed! I've been putting in for sheep, moose and goat in several states for years now and they keep upping the fees and lowering allocations about the time I get my hopes up. I think if I could do it over I would of saved my money and made more trips to Alaska. Maybe I would of went to New Zealand and Africa. Not to upset about it, just some thoughts in hindsight. In my older age I'm finding I like opportunity hunts and hunting with the kids just as much!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have always dreamed of a Wyoming sheep hunt. That is not looking good unless Lady Luck decides that she kindof likes the chubby guys with glasses and gets me that SuperTag. That is kindof a raw deal, too. I wish I could put in a gazillion times but I need to eat occasionally, too. I should have started putting in for points a long time ago.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 03-28-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been applying in all the lower 48 for 20 years. Back then all the apps were paper. The internet has app numbers greatly expanded, and odds much worse. Beware the point games have become an ugly chess game to separate the honest patient hunter from his money, without the issuing of any tag if possible. They aim to hook you early by getting you to buy in, then when they think you are in too far to bail, they bait-n-switch. Like Ponzi schemes, they dish out a few bones to keep you interested.

When you choose what to buy in, just remember one thing.........."Let the buyer beware".

Arizona & New Hampshire are the only two states I bought into that did not cheapen my points before I could spend them. So I would recommend those two. However, even they are just one corrupt politician away each from joining the unethical club.

I suggest you subscribe to HF or EJ and follow legislative actions closely in all the states to understand the point game climate in each. I am near 20 points in several states and I can't burn them quickly enough because I know I am a sitting target to be taken advantage of. Even for a young fella it is a better strategy to target 3-5 point "off the radar" units and get to know them very well by hunting them repeatedly. The return on investment diminishes yearly after you reach these levels. And your risk of being bait-n-switched increases.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I think it all depends on what you want to hunt. I want sheep so bad it hurts. I don't care what state or what subspecies. Start saving for dall sheep, grizzly, moose, and mt goat in Alaska. Hunt every year for elk/deer/antelope in WY as others have stated. CO for deer and maybe sheep/moose/goat if interested. Definitely Utah elk and might as well throw in for LE deer and general deer for opportunity and to hunt somewhere new (I know to consistently kill big animals you need to hunt the same areas but some of the fun of out of state hunts is seeing new country and different habitats), don't waste your money on trophy species in Utah. I know it's not much money but it will never pay off, as the odds are AWFUL. AZ elk and deer can be done every 4-7 years if not applying for premium units or the best rut hunts. NV has good hunting for elk, antelope, sheep and deer. Avoid OR, WA, and CA unless you want a Roosevelt elk or blacktail. Continue MT for deer and keep hunting with your dad for as long as you can! Enjoy those moments together. NM odds are not great so I'd avoid it altogether, plus they don't seem to like non-resident hunters very much (game and fish not the people). ID can't offer much over your home state except maybe better odds on a shiras moose. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    If I lived in Wyoming Im not sure I would apply in any other states. You have a good chance of drawing a LE Deer, Elk, or Antelope tag every year and you can hunt Deer, Elk and antelope every year OTC or leftover if you want to or dont draw. What more could a hunter want! Save all the NR license, tag, app/point fees, cost of hunting farther away, ect, and go hunt trophy species in Alaska or Canada where you can actually get a tag!
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 3 Posts
    For the bowhunter......Arizona is tough to beat, IMO.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    "don't waste your money on trophy species in Utah. I know it's not much money but it will never pay off, as the odds are AWFUL."

Ditto. I am surprised how few people I see post on this. The odds are indeed Powerball since SFW and I can't burn my 17 deer points quick enough so I can bail there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I know NV has some giant animals but I would think twice about applying there. It'll cost over $200 a year to apply for everything and for elk, you'll probably be lucky to draw 2 tags in your life. You'd be very lucky to draw a tag in 10 years and if you shoot one, you can't apply there for another 10 years. For antelope I believe it is a 5 year wait. Deer their is no restriction. Unless a guy can go there to hunt deer every few years, I just don't know if it is worth it.