Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts

Field Photos-The Key To Getting Published

Hey all,
    If you have been following us on Facebook I am sure that you have seen the uptick in activity and all the animals that have come up on our wall. This has been great for our FB page and we have enjoyed seeing all of the great animals that you and others have shared with us.

One of the hardest things I am finding out about this job is telling a guy with a 375 bull that we can't use it for the magazine because his pictures are terrible. Please be prepared in the field with at minimum a decent point and shoot camera to capture your memories. Here are a few things to help you be prepared for that moment.

1. Your cell phone camera is great for the little moment, but when it comes to the big stuff have a point and shoot. Personally I carry a Nikon D3100 with a Sigma 28/200 lens. For most people this is overkill, but when I started to write I learned quickly that my cell pictures were not going to cut it. If you haven't read Mike's article on this subject, start there. Take a look at the bottom of this blog to see why it is so tough to use cell pictures here: http://blog.eastmans.com/how-to-get-...ory-published/

2. Take the time to pose well, I know this sounds stupid when we are interested in meat care, but you will only take one trophy of a lifetime unless money is no object. You will want to remember that moment for the rest of your life because once you start breaking it down, it can't be undone. Mike has another blog that can be found here:
    http://blog.eastmans.com/pssst-mikes...et-up-secrets/

What else do you guys do to take quality pictures?

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I use a Canon Power Shot camera, it's big and bulky but it's what I have. The delay timer and a tripod help a lot, I will set the delay so the camera is dead still when the picture is taken, even if I don't need the delay I use it.

It's tough to take the time to set things up, but in the end it's worth it. We spend months and sometimes years preparing for the hunt, why not take a few extra minutes to capture it on camera?
    Last edited by Timberstalker; 03-27-2014 at 11:21 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Timberstalker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Very true Timber but some of us have trouble thinking that clearly for several hours after killing a big buck, even a not so big buck most times
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Set up for a good background ! Now a days pictures are cheap, take a lot and from different angles !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Lets include some examples, this could be a really good thread with some pictures!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I always try to take pics and video if possible. I have been using the same 2 cameras/video cameras for the past 5 years. I have been using a canon HV20 and a HV40. It takes pretty good video and photos. A little bulky but works pretty good. Here are a few from last season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here's one I've never shared, what do you guys think? Antelope I found to be tough, they are so small it's hard to get down to their level.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you all want, I can critique the posted photos if you're interested in what we look at from a publication stand point.

So in that vein here we go.

A lot of times with antelope if you take the time to prop them up so their brisket is touching the ground with their legs folded under them instead of them laying on their side/rib cage, you won't have to get so low and it makes it easier to position yourself behind their shoulder. Also, you have to be mindful of not tipping their chin up to high, very slightly down is good. The camera is a touch far away and you may want to consider laying the rifle across his chest. And as always, take lots of pictures with lots of angles.
    Managing Editor
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D.Turvey, Jr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My sheep was a challange, I was solo on this one too. The brush was so thick I had to clear brush with a hatchet for 30 min just to get a clear view. From the time I shot it till I was done taking photo's was over an hour.

Here's what it looked like after clearing the brush.

Here's some photo's that were published EHJ

Here's what a cell phone photo looks like!

Last edited by Timberstalker; 03-27-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Clearing the foreground obstructions is definitely a great idea. In the second image I would have turned the ram so he's up hill and closer to the camera. That would make is easier to position yourself behind the shoulder and down hill of the animal making the ram look larger. Remember when you stand vertically behind the animal it gives the viewer a frame of reference and makes the trophy look a tad smaller. In the third image, the foreground obstructions could have been cropped closer to the ground and watch out for the obstruction in the lower right corner creeping in. Other than that the above applies. Though the cell phone photo looks good at this percentage, when we enlarge they fall apart quickly.
    Last edited by D.Turvey, Jr; 03-27-2014 at 04:42 PM.
    Managing Editor
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals