Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: garmin rhino

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts

garmin rhino

anyone tried these was mainly interested how well the radio works in the mountains.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I have a Rhino thats over 10 years old. The radio is just as good or better then any other radios I have used. The gps works good too. I upgraded to a 450t last year so I could use a map chip but that is the only reason and I have no complaints about the Rhino.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    Line of sight it's great.
    Not unlimited by any means but I actually got 8-10 miles out in the high desert.
    Heavy timber or a ridge can knock it down to as little as a mile.
    Great radio/GPS I own three of different grades.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OregonJim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    I love my Rhinos. I have the 130 and a 120. Best hand held radio that I've ever used. Its really cool when you're friends have them obviously.

I'm gonna sell the 130 soon to buy a GPS to use with my gun dog pup that I'm getting in May.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    thanks guys
    planning an early season muley hunt in co.and thought this might be a handy piece of equipment.and since my buddy dosent have a gps and ive been thinking of carrying a back up,would be a good time to purchase some.

cobbhunts what kind of dog you getting,we have labs we run in hunt test(well now they just lay on the couch)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have had two or three 530's. Me personally I did not have the best of luck with them. The first one I have the speaker went out and then it happened again in the second when I had, when it did work, it worked okay in the mountains but once you get in some real deep canyons with thick cover and your buddies are a couple canyons over the radio part was not the best. The GPS always seem to work fine for what it is. Ever since switching over to the Oregon 550 I probably wouldn't go back to the rhino. with the rhino I did like the option of seeing where my buddies were at.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleys 24/7 View Post
    I have had two or three 530's. Me personally I did not have the best of luck with them. The first one I have the speaker went out and then it happened again in the second when I had, when it did work, it worked okay in the mountains but once you get in some real deep canyons with thick cover and your buddies are a couple canyons over the radio part was not the best. The GPS always seem to work fine for what it is. Ever since switching over to the Oregon 550 I probably wouldn't go back to the rhino. with the rhino I did like the option of seeing where my buddies were at.
    I'll admit that I haven't tried the Oregon 550, I'll have to give it a try if I get a chance. I will say that none of the FRS-GMRS type radios are going to work very well if the two radios are in separate deep canyons. I've tried a much more powerful VHF-FM radio in that type of situation and it is still basically line of sight.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turk870 View Post
    thanks guys
    planning an early season muley hunt in co.and thought this might be a handy piece of equipment.and since my buddy dosent have a gps and ive been thinking of carrying a back up,would be a good time to purchase some.

cobbhunts what kind of dog you getting,we have labs we run in hunt test(well now they just lay on the couch)
    Pudelpointer....and no they are not a designer breed for you guys that may ask haha. They were bred in the 1800s in Germany. I am getting him to run NAVHDA test, shed hunt, upland, ducks and blood tracking. They are a versatile breed. Good luck with your GPS decision. Here is the sire to my pup.....

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    we have the 530's. We have had good luck in the mountains, but you can still get fouled even one ridge over if both of you are in the bottom. We have had these since 2011 with no durability issues at all.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    We have a couple 120's and the range of the radio is better than the Motorola or Midlands I have tried. They are pretty durable. I think they are 5 or so years old with no problems.