Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

    CO Mule Deer, Unit 61

    Going to hunt Mule Deer in Colorado, Unit 61 (3rd season, Nov 1-9, 2014). Can anyone that has hunted, or is familiar with this unit third-season give me some specific areas that I should focus on? Your help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Grand Junction, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I should have the same tag this fall. As long as the odds dont drastically change...

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Valley California
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How many points did you guys have.,if you don't mind me asking,,,super tough tag to own

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by digger11 View Post
    How many points did you guys have.,if you don't mind me asking,,,super tough tag to own
    I will preface by saying that I have never hunted 61 and never will . . . But I have spent a fair amount of time there and have been interested in the unit for sometime (when I was a CO resident I was shooting for that area, but now my points aren't worth as much). It's tough country to hunt. Thick cedars lower, thick oaks at mid-elevations. Typically mentioned places to focus are around the town of Nucla. Several mesas west of there are popular for deer. If possible I would get there a few days early to get your berings. Deer will never be too far away from water. Key in on sign. No sign, no deer. Personally I would focus on areas more conducive to glassing rather than the seas of cedars, but there are probably good bucks to be had ghosting around in that tangled mess. Immediately north, east, and west of Nucla would be my focus area.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Grand Junction, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Im sitting on 5 resident pts. Last year I will be a CO resident for a bit, due to work, so I plan on burning them.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mule Deer - CO, Unit 61

    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    I will preface by saying that I have never hunted 61 and never will . . . But I have spent a fair amount of time there and have been interested in the unit for sometime (when I was a CO resident I was shooting for that area, but now my points aren't worth as much). It's tough country to hunt. Thick cedars lower, thick oaks at mid-elevations. Typically mentioned places to focus are around the town of Nucla. Several mesas west of there are popular for deer. If possible I would get there a few days early to get your berings. Deer will never be too far away from water. Key in on sign. No sign, no deer. Personally I would focus on areas more conducive to glassing rather than the seas of cedars, but there are probably good bucks to be had ghosting around in that tangled mess. Immediately north, east, and west of Nucla would be my focus area.
    Thanks....that's great advice. Everyone seems to focus on the Nucla area. This is a large area, I was hoping to narrow it down to some specific areas. If anyone has some specific locations to begin the hunt it would be wonderful. My son and I plan on scouting 2-3 days prior to the hunt to somewhat familiarize us with the area.

    Oh yes, I have 14 NR points.

    Thanks...you guy are great.

    barkman

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Everyone's comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Was hoping for some suggestions on specific area's or locations to start the hunt.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkman View Post
    Everyone's comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Was hoping for some suggestions on specific area's or locations to start the hunt.
    I would definitely call the bio/warden if I were you . . . If you want specific areas, take a gander at the map and locate Atkinson Mesa, Blue Mesa, First Park, and Tabeguache roadless area. It's great you will get there early to get some scouting in. Scouting is a very good idea in that area.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Unit 211 Mule Deer
    By MSUcat61 in forum Montana
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2013, 12:22 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 04:54 PM
  3. Mule Deer in Unit 48
    By Haisen in forum Idaho
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2011, 07:16 PM
  4. NM Mule Deer Unit 16
    By CMiddleton75 in forum Mule Deer
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 03:03 PM
  5. NM Mule Deer Unit 16
    By CMiddleton75 in forum General Hunting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 02:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •