Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 6 Posts

elevation changing point of impact?

I sight in and shoot my rifle in nd. the area is around 1300 feet above sea level. I was comfortable shooting out to 400 yards. I went to Wyoming antelope hunting and I think the elevation was around 5000. I shot my antelope at 400 yards and it did not seem to change the point of impact at all. I did shoot at a target out there before I shot at the antelope. but my question is there was no change that I noticed at 400 yards going from 1300 ft to 5000 ft in elevation but would I notice a change in point of impact going from 1300 feet to say 9 or 10,000 ft? I've just seen this topic on long range pursuit and I was curious what other's opinions are.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 6 Posts
    If you want basic answers, log on to the hornady ballistics calculator and click on advanced options. Enter your load and other variables. This will let you mess with different things like elevation, humidity, temperature, and more. I have noticed that if I sight in at 1000 feet of elevation in 80 degree weather, I will be very close at 8000 feet of elevation at 30 degrees. By changing altitude 7000 feet I would have thought I would hit high but the drop in temperature basically negated the change. I am no expert but have many years of sighting in at low elevation and hunting at high elevation. I try to sight in at home in warm weather... Usually gets you close.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    It should be higher at the higher elevation out there, but not enough to worry about, especially with the temperature difference you'll probably be experiencing as mentioned in the other post! Mine are sighted in here in MI at under 1000' and I notice no difference in any of my rifles and we're from 6,500' up to 8,000' feet in Wyoming where I hunt every year.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    I dont think it would change it enough to worry about at 400 yards and under.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I dont think it would change it enough to worry about at 400 yards and under.
    That's been my experience.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just did the calculation for my .270 WSM and basically the bullet will hit 3.6 inches higher at 10,000 feet elevation than it will at sea level (0 feet elevation) at 500-yards. The difference is about 2/10th of an inch higher at 200-yards, less than 1/4 of an inch. I would say for most applications it would be a non-factor. A good exercise though. -G
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    Good to know Guy! I'll be bringing my .270wsm to Wyoming. And though I've already worked up my load, I will be "tuning" it this summer in 80-90 deg weather. So I should be good. Even so, 3.6 inches at 500 yards is less than what I thought it would be.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Used to shoot lots of 1000 yard matches and we never shot w/o re-sighting before every match. That way any environmental/geographical effects were compensated for.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You won't really notice it until B/C takes over. Angle and windage that folks aren't used to seem to be a big factor though.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to packmule For This Useful Post:

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 1 Post
    Thats what i was going to touch on..Dont need to worry about the altitude nearly as much as taking into account any Angle that comes into play if your in the mountain areas. Steeper it is, more you need to account for it. It is something you will want to remember if you get into a quick shooting scenario and forget that you need to take that into account. I personally almost didnt get my sheep in 2007 because i got in a run and shoot type scenario and didnt take in the angle due to not thinking clearly; shot over his back on the first shot, luckily he gave me one last chance before disappearing and I realized what i had forgot and made the correct adjustment and he flopped over and i was very relieved...last day of the season just before dark. I make sure to tell all clients I guide exactly where to aim when we get on animals because the majority come from flat land areas and do not understand the angle compensation.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mntnguide For This Useful Post: