Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Those are two completely different things! Orange is designed to keep all the idiots out there, and there are many, from making mistakes. In a perfect world where everyone was 100% sure of their target the color orange wouldn't be necessary. Seatbelt laws, on the other hand, are not only designed to protect you in an accident, but are also to keep insurance rates down. If a person didn't have one on and was severely injured, the medical costs are astronomical, especially if it requires lifelong care. Seatbelt laws cut that cost way down by preventing many major injuries or death every year.
    They are alot the same. In most cases seat belts save people when some other idiot driver causes an accident. Im not buying the keeping insurance rates lower either as high as they are these days. IMO the biggest reason they have seat belt laws is to give seat belt tickets and make money. If I want to take a chance of some idiot not seeing me because Im not wearing orange and I get shot it should be my decision!
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    They are alot the same. In most cases seat belts save people when some other idiot driver causes an accident. Im not buying the keeping insurance rates lower either as high as they are these days. IMO the biggest reason they have seat belt laws is to give seat belt tickets and make money. If I want to take a chance of some idiot not seeing me because Im not wearing orange and I get shot it should be my decision!

How high do you think the rates would be if we were paying billions for people for the rest of their lives that were gravely injured from not wearing a belt? Answer---A whole bunch per vehicle to cover it that we don't have to now!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I dont think orange should be required anywhere on any hunt. There should not be any seat belt laws anywhere either. Not that I am against either of them I just think it should be your decision to use them or not.
    I also think orange should not be required . I was hunting turkey last spring obviously in full camo and ended up calling in a trespasser. He was stalking the turkey he heard. I didn't move and started yelling out at him. If I moved he may have opened fire, who knows. I know one thing he will never hunt that property again lol!! I have handled a few hunting accidents that were self inflicted, one fatal. Have handled hunter shooting house and have heard of hunter shooting a truck injuring occupant but never a hunter shooting another hunter in the field wearing camo or otherwise. I personally think seatbelts save lives but the state sure makes money from all those tickets.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    How high do you think the rates would be if we were paying billions for people for the rest of their lives that were gravely injured from not wearing a belt? Answer---A whole bunch per vehicle to cover it that we don't have to now!
    Probably the same. The insurance companies find ways to milk us for all we are worth anyways and if we made it easier for them it might actually be cheaper in the long run. lol
    Keystone 1, Over!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We all just need to pay attention and act ethically in the field to avoid issues. Blaze orange doesn't fix stupid behavior.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Calling in a trespasser is definitely a new one. There will always be accidents no matter how many laws there are.
    Keystone 1, Over!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Labor Day weekend the majority of the elk mountains are crawling with hikers, campers, ATV's, people fishing and weekend bowhunters taking advantage of the extra day off to hunt. In other words, it's crowded in most areas. After things quiet down the remainder of that week is usually pretty good elk hunting. But I adhere to one hunting rule.....hunt whenever you can no matter what the conditions are.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cnalder View Post
    The 2nd half of September the year is looking good for active animals during shooting light.
    I was looking at the Moon-phase for this Sept and it does look good the second half of the month. Last season the second half of the month was pretty much a full moon and a waning full moon. A waning full moon has always been my favorite time to hunt during bow season. I will be out the last two + weeks of Sept. This year. Hope I don't get snowed out again!!
    Last edited by 25contender; 03-30-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    appreciate the advice cnalder. Q? Are you getting most bulls with cow mews & calling or some bugling as well?

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by rackpack View Post
    appreciate the advice cnalder. Q? Are you getting most bulls with cow mews & calling or some bugling as well?

Thanks again!
    You bring up a sore point I have with todays bowhunters. Most bugle way too much. Last year on opening day, August 30 and warm, I had a party hunting in the bottom of the drainage while I was midslope on good game trails. This group bugled every 10-15 minutes up the creek bottom. I could track their progress up the drainage. Elk were all over, I ran into some and was watching 2 groups on the opposite side, but it was way too early as not one elk bugled all morning. They continued until I finally left the area and headed to work late morning. I did drive around to see what they were driving and also left a note with early season elk hunting 101 tips. Their vehicle was clasically decorated with all the high end archery stickers and several archery magazines on the dash. I guess I don't blame them for their technique because if you watch most hunting shows, bugling is the way to go. Unfortunately what the shows don't tell you is they are hunting ranches, pvt land, or limited entry areas that don't get much pressure.

Early season I don't even carry a bugle. Even late in the season I bugle very little, typically locate a bull and then work in close. If he is worked up I'll definitely bugle but mostly mew. I shot a decent bull last year, its in the current EBJ, and only bugled several times. For me, last year was also the slowest for bugling bulls in 20 yrs of bowhunting but my hunting buddy and I both harvested elk. I hope this year brings more vocal animals. My best advice, ditch the calling and intimately learn an area. You'll be much more successful when you find an area with lots of elk and learn about their home. Good luck!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cnalder For This Useful Post: