Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great original question rackpack and thanks cnalder for the informative and on topic answers!
    -Introduce someone to the outdoors this year-

Genesis 27:3 (NLT) "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows, and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    We fill every bull tag we get in Wyoming and probably don't use a bugle enough to even carry it. About all we do is cow call along with spot/glass and hunt the area every year so we know their patterns. I would have to agree that most people watch way too much TV and overcall thinking any bull in the area is going to answer a bugle call and it just doesn't work that way. They aren't stupid if they have been hunted to any extent.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts
    I have had success the first week of September with a bugle and raking. Once the bulls gather up the cows, the cow calls are the way to go. I agree that most hunters bugle way to much, I've been guilty of that one in the past myself. The areas I hunt get little to no pressure, I get a lot better response in those areas IF I can find the elk. I don't bow hunt high pressure areas much anymore, running into or hearing other hunters drives me crazy. Knowing where the elk are before trying to call is a good thing.

The Bugle is still a good tool for locating though.
    Last edited by Timberstalker; 04-01-2014 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    appreciate all he good advice. Hoping to fill my tag this year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am going to have to give you guys credit! You are probably better at seeing your target clearly. I would no way not wear orange during rifle. Hell, Moose get shot as well as horses when the army shows up!!! Had a group from Missouri ( not Picking on one state) show up, throw up camp and then came over and asked us what elk looked like!!!! I was sure I was in the next drainage until they left. I watched from a ridge, elk run all around their camp! Never did I see them uncase a weapon!!! I am sure since you have to be within 100 yds basically, you know your targets much better. I have called in hunters with cow calls and bugles and turkey calls. Unless you are one of the best callers out there, I can tell the difference most of the time!. I agree with topgun that when the bulls harem up, it is much harder to get to the big boy!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    BleuBijou---You post reminds me of the guy and his wife that went on their first elk hunt and split up opening morning to cover more territory. A couple hours into the hunt the guy hears a shot and figures it's his wife, so he starts heading her way. As he approaches and gets within view he hears her start screaming and really gets going to find out whats going on. He gets close and hollers to ask her what's going on and she hollers back that a guy is trying to steal her elk. He gets up to the scene and the cowboy standing there tells him to please calm his wife down and that all he wants back is his horse's bridle and saddle!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    been in the hills for 38 years you learn some things!!!