Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    I wouldnt go on ammo availability in the last 2 years because alot of things arent available now. Midway has 11 ammo choices and Natchez has 6 and some are available from both of them. Midway also shows 34 bullet choices if you want to handload. Core-Lokt, A-Frame, GMX, InterLock, ect. 8mm's have never been real popular for hunting and while its not as popular as the 30 cals I think the 325WSM if here to stay and there is plenty available for it if its the cal you choose. I have thought about getting 1 since they came out!
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    I had a 338/06 built on an old Ruger tang safety action. I can get 2840 fps using the old Barnes 200gr X bullets, not too far off the velocity of the 325WSM. One pass on the 338/06 expander die and you have 338/06 cases. I have two life times worth of once fired 30/06 cases picked up from the range I shoot at. I'll never run out of FREE BRASS. Its a good 300yd elk gun. I've killed a moose, 4 elk, 6 reindeer, a few deer and 10 African antelope as big or bigger than most elk. It's easy on the shoulder, cheap to shoot and kills way better than its ballistics suggest. But then again I'm only 5'7'' and a recoil pussy for sure. A 338 mag scares me and a 340 WBY would terrify me. Maybe I should change my forum name to small gun Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dang!! So many good inputs and opinions. This is tougher than what I thought. I don't own the .325 WSM, I just have the option to buy it when I get back to the states. Or, like I said, and several of you have suggested, I could go with something else. Man oh man... What shall I do? Ammo availability will be pretty important to me... Maybe I'll keep looking around and see if I can find a Savage 110 in .300 WM or the Savage 10 in .300 WSM.... I don't know.... I'll keep you all posted with what I decide. LOL Right now, I'm over in Afghanistan and I have a little time to browse the classified sections. My problem is, I want a bunch of different guns! This is a real problem!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Best solution is to buy them all LOL. Are you looking for a used gun?
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Get a 30-06 and don't look back!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    and shoot 180gr corelokts!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 2 Posts
    I switched years ago from a 270 to a 338 win mag and will never ever go back. I mainly bow hunt, but when I rifle hunt its with the 338. Its never taken more than one bullet to give a bull a dirt nap with the 338. Nothing wrong with the 270 or 06, but the bigger caliber just works for me.

I would take the 338 or the 300 win over the 325 simply for the ease of purchasing ammo. Especially in smaller stores or in emergency situations.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elkhunter96 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappy View Post
    My problem is, I want a bunch of different guns! This is a real problem!!
    And it is a problem a lot of us have. I'm maybe the worst. Best of luck, keep your head down!!

You could always do what I did when I was deployed. Buy a rifle one piece at a time and have a gunsmith put it together for you when you get home. There's some logistics involved for sure, but if you have help stateside, you can make it happen. It all starts with the action!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappy View Post
    I don't own the .325 WSM, I just have the option to buy it when I get back to the states.
    When I read your post this is what I keyed in on. Don't buy the 325 because it is available, especially if you are looking for your all purpose rifle. I don't mean to offend, but it sounds a little like you are trying to rationalize buying it. Unless you are going to be shooting heavy for caliber bullets (220GRN+), you can load the 300 WSM to 200 grn without any trouble, so what are you gaining by going to the 325? IMO, this is why the 325 never picked up steam like the 300 WSM.

I have been in your shoes, literally. I wanted to buy a new rifle while I was in AFG back in 2004, and I had my dad and his buddies all contemplating what I needed, and I ended up buying one, sight unseen. I hated that rifle for the first few years I had it, I finally replaced the stock and optics and now I love it, but in hindsight it was a mistake.

Bottom line, if you are deciding on a rifle that is going to be your go to gun; pick the ideal caliber/action you want, and then go find the deal.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mnhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations