Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A couple years back I was in Gila hunting deer when I was glassing off of a ridge and saw two very nice muley bucks coming right towards me! One was a big boxy 170+" 4x4 typical deer and the other a big 160" 3x3. In hindsight I should have just waited for them to come my way and I could have dropped one of them without moving. Instead I made stupid move and tried to get closer by stalking right at them. I misjudged how far away they were and suddenly I thought I saw something through the trees and it was the big 170 buck staring holes through me and he took off faster than I could even get my gun to my shoulder. Still haunts me to this day! I was not patient enough and tried to make something happen instead of letting the bucks make a mistake. Moral of the story be patient

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    What is your biggest hunting mistake that you feel someone else can learn from? .....
    Mine is hitting the snooze button. Over and over again. But, I've killed some monster bucks in my dreams. All of them were easy to pack out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to buzz mc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd say one of my biggest mistakes for a long time was failing to realize deer pattern hunters just like hunters pattern deer. I killed a whitetail that grossed over 180" despite broken points in 2009 because his tracks in the snow showed he was trailing me after dark, figuring my pattern out. I moved back another 100yds and hid in a thicket, shot him the next evening. The stories you hear about the first time hunter getting a monster buck I feel are often due to the first time hunter doing something unexpected. Since I have got over my fear of thinking outside the box, trying something crazy, I have been more successful. A simple example I can give is hiding in real low cover, lying on my belly watching places when deer expect everyone to be in a blind, truck, or tree. It isn't the most comfortable but it has worked. Don't be where they expect you to be.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    I have made a bunch but I guess that is part of becoming a good hunter.
    Here are a few.....

(1) Don't change your diet when you get to elk camp. You can get way with it when you are 24 not so much when you are 50.
    (2) Treat every short walk as if you had just spent two hours walking to a honey hole. Take your gun, your bow, your license, your binos.
    (3) Don't shoot the first buck you see unless you know it will be the best you see.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    I'd say one of my biggest mistakes for a long time was failing to realize deer pattern hunters just like hunters pattern deer. I killed a whitetail that grossed over 180" despite broken points in 2009 because his tracks in the snow showed he was trailing me after dark, figuring my pattern out. I moved back another 100yds and hid in a thicket, shot him the next evening. The stories you hear about the first time hunter getting a monster buck I feel are often due to the first time hunter doing something unexpected. Since I have got over my fear of thinking outside the box, trying something crazy, I have been more successful. A simple example I can give is hiding in real low cover, lying on my belly watching places when deer expect everyone to be in a blind, truck, or tree. It isn't the most comfortable but it has worked. Don't be where they expect you to be.
    I will second this one. During Archery season we had bucks coming in daily to a water hole until a few days after season opened. A big one didn't come in for the first 4 days so I went and did something else and what do you know he came in when I didn't. My buddy saw the other big one on the skyline on his way out of the blind. He watched him walk out, then went into water. I caught the biggest buck watching me walk into the blind on one of the afternoon hunts. Big public land Muley's are very smart. But that's why theyre very fun and rewarding to hunt!
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nvarcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    I would have to say my biggest mistake is not taking every opportunity to go hunting I could. You never know when your lucky day will be. I know I've missed some great hunts because I didn't make the time to go.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My hunting buddy and I we're goose hunting eastern colorado late season on a reservoir. It was balls cold... Reservoir pretty much iced over with big sheets of ice we piled up to use as a blind. Spent HOURS out there freezing on the bank waiting for the geese to get up off the open water. When they finally did they came directly over my buddy 20 yards off the deck. I was about 40 yards away and he wasn't shooting... I was thinking WTF?

After they flew on by he starting cursing up a storm. He was shooting Browning A4 and some water had frozen his action. He put the shotgun on the ground, pissed all over it to free up the ice, tossed it up to his shoulder and fired off a round. Mist of piss blew back all over him! Hunt over!!

Lesson learned... Don't piss off your firearm!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PointsHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    That's hilarious PointsHunter!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hahahahahaha

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 5 Posts
    That's funny PH!