Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I booked a hunt with Terry Overly of pioneer outfitters in chisana , ak. I showed up and he never did. Never went hunting on the trip I paid for.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That's amazing!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    I booked a hunt with Terry Overly of pioneer outfitters in chisana , ak. I showed up and he never did. Never went hunting on the trip I paid for.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    1) When hunting on a military base with restricted areas, a buddy and I were trying to recover a poorly hit doe. Pushed her too hard, and kicked her up not once, but twice, but she was bleeding so heavy we figured she couldn't go too far. Well, she had enough in her to make it into a restricted area, and we never were able to recover her.

2) Buying 2 cheap scopes of the same brand and model -- both failed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Murdy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    1)I shot a bull 5 minutes after making it to my hunting area on opening morning with my dad waiting back at camp. It was a big bull and I was going to need extra help. My dad was asleep for the next 3 hours with the radio turned off so he would not be disturbed. I was not ready to know how to handle a trophy animal so I ended up packing way too much of the animal off the mountain.

2) Stocking in too fast on elk.
    Last edited by clacklin009; 04-01-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All

7. The Following User Says Thank You to clacklin009 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    1) Not bringing enough ammo
    2) Not thinking through a situation. I have had the opportunity pass me by twice, a huge 6x6 bull and a 150" class mule deer because I rushed and didn't think it through to create a plan.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chasingAZelk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by clacklin009 View Post
    1)I shot a bull 5 minutes after making it to my hunting area on opening morning with my dad waiting back at camp. It was a big bull and I was going to need extra help. My dad was asleep for the next 3 hours with the radio turned off so he would not be disturbed. I was not ready to know how to handle a trophy animal so I ended up packing way to much of the animal off the mountain.

2) Stocking in way to fast on elk.
    If that's your biggest mistake, I'd say you're doing alright!
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonArrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    On my 2nd mulie hunt I had a great spot lined up. There were about 50 deer using an alfalfa field including 2 definite shooters. It was the 3rd morning of the hunt. I knew where the deer were going to bed, they were going basically the same way every morning right at daybreak. I needed to be up extra early because I needed to access the area differently than before and it was going to be quite a walk. Well I woke up and took a shower, confirmed I had my camera, extra warm clothes etc. I ate a quick bite on the way and was super pumped. I got there and got all my gear on, backpack on and realized my gun was still sitting in the case on my bed in the hotel room. BONEHEAD! Well they turned some calves onto the alfalfa later that day and I never saw those deer again. That one still stings because there was nobody to blame but me. My buddy in Nebraska still gives me crap about it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was in high school and my buddy and I found a true 200"+ typical on public ground in an OTC area. We were both young and dumb and didn't know what to do. We waited for him to feed over the ridge and hiked up the ridge and jumped him out of his bed. I shot off-handed as he ran through the trees and missed clean from about 30 yards (no blood in snow).

We waited a week before we went back to see if he would come back to the same area and on the last day of the season, he did. I stayed on a ridge 600 yards away and my buddy tried to sneak around and get close to him. If he started to spook, I was supposed to shoot. If my buddy got closer, he would get the shot. As he was sneaking in, the buck started to act nervous, so I shot. The buck kicked his hind-legs, hunched, and ran over the hill. I went over and looked for a few minutes for blood, but couldn't find any in the shale and decided I missed low and the kick was at the bullet striking near his feet. (I also split my eyelid open with my scope).

Now that I have more experience, I have a sick feeling that the reaction I saw from the deer was a solid hit. I was too na´ve and didn't realize it at the time. I feel 100% sure I shot a 200+" buck and didn't even try to recover him. It still makes me sick.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grizzly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Waiting till last year to build points in states besides Oregon, my biggest mistake so far...

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timberstalker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Honestly, my biggest mistake was not fully understanding the kill zone on a bull elk before archey hunting them. I lost a couple from bad shot placement, thinking I was good. I realize now where I mad the errors.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Timberstalker For This Useful Post: