Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Scope ring problems

I have a 300 Weatherby with a VX3 Leupold scope. I originally had a set of Leupold rings on it but I had to shim the back and in order to get the crosshairs on paper, I didn't like the whole shim idea because I believed it was affecting the accuracy, plus after banging off about 40 rounds the shim would start to slide out. So I recently purchased a set of one piece ring and Base tally scope rings. After installing the talley rings I took it to the range to find out, my elevation adjustment on scope was maxed out, and I was still shooting 3 1/2 feet high.

I'm looking for some help on a way to resolve this problem .
    Should I take Dremal tool and Sand down the rear base? Or send my scope into leupold to get it adjusted somehow?
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    This is a major problem. Sound odd that you'd have this issue with two different mounting systems. I bought a rifle once where there was a burr from the tapping process on the receiver that caused issues. Check that, check ring height uniformity, if that stuff is ok, it's a problem with the receiver itself.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to libidilatimmy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 8 Posts
    Is your scope tube sitting parallel with the barrel and bolt? I would measure from the top of the bolt to the base and to the scope tube and see if it is the same at the front and back. Im not sure how much difference you can have before it causes a problem but checking that would be a good place to start. If the base is made for the gun it should be made to fit and align the scope correctly. Is this a new gun or new to you? Have you ever had any other scope or mounts on it? If it is pretty parallel to the bolt you might try another scope if you have one to see if it does the same thing.
    Last edited by Musket Man; 03-31-2014 at 07:11 PM.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by libidilatimmy View Post
    This is a major problem. Sound odd that you'd have this issue with two different mounting systems. I bought a rifle once where there was a burr from the tapping process on the receiver that caused issues. Check that, check ring height uniformity, if that stuff is ok, it's a problem with the receiver itself.
    Yeah it's extremely frustrating especially after just buying a set of $50 rings and it didn't fix the issue. There is no burs on the receiver. I'll try to check the ring height

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Is your scope tube sitting parallel with the barrel and bolt? I would measure from the top of the bolt to the base and to the scope tube and see if it is the same at the front and back. Im not sure how much difference you can have before it causes a problem but checking that would be a good place to start. If the base is made for the gun it should be made to fit and align the scope correctly. Is this a new gun or new to you? Have you ever had any other scope or mounts on it? If it is pretty parallel to the bolt you might try another scope if you have one to see if it does the same thing.
    MM, these are the right rings for the right gun according to the package. I've had this gun ever since it was brand-new but with the original Leupold rings I always had to use a shim that the gunsmith put in there. I like the idea of mounting a different scope to see if I can boresight it with the new rings. If it will not boresight with another scope maybe I should take the rings and to get them custom fitted to my receiver?

-NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Another question would be where you purchased the scope? I received an email from leupold a few years back that there was a bunch of counterfeit scopes coming in through ebay with the ways to tell the difference. I've always had good experiences with them myself, but have always bought from a dealer.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Scope ring problems

Another question would be where you purchased the scope? I received an email from leupold a few years back that there was a bunch of counterfeit scopes coming in through ebay with the ways to tell the difference. I've always had good experiences with them myself, but have always bought from a dealer.
    I bought the scope from a reputable dealer, and registered it for warranty through Leupold .
    Last edited by Muleys 24/7; 03-31-2014 at 07:36 PM.
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Buy Burris Rings.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I bought the scope from a reputable dealer, and registered it for warranty through Leupold .

-NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 8 Posts
    Is your base 1 piece or 2 piece? If its 1 piece try setting it on the gun without the screws and see if it sits square on the receiver. How thick is the shim the gun smith made for it?
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"