Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a good friend of mine that has been out west quite a few times and is sending me a bunch of eastmans magazines to read through.
    As for weapon I'm taking my bow. I'm a die hard bow hunter and just wouldn't feel right for me to take a rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Welcome Luke, Since you're a stick slinger I know you would have a blast with elk in Colorado. You said that you weren't opposed to a guide and that is a good option for a first hunt, but don't forget about trespass hunts or even DIY. I've done both and always found elk which was always what I feared the most. Just apply your whitetail scouting to elk and you will be all right.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Glad your hear, this a great place to gather information on hunting out west. Like you were told before " beware it is very addictive " Good Luck !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Downing View Post
    Thanks for the welcome everyone. To answer a few of the questions I live in central Missouri and am primarily a whitetail hunter. I am die hard archery guy also.
    As far as what state I would like to go to on a hunt I really do not have any preference As to which one really. I know some are draw and some are OTC tags like Colorado. But I really am not sure which one to try and go for.
    I know most for draw tags you need preference points to get a decent tag or a tag at all so more than likely I will probably go to Colorado since tags are easy to get. But I am all for any one giving some opinions

And I am not against using a guide either. And that might be the best thing for me to do since it would be my first time out there

This will be for a hunt in 2015 so I have some time to choose. And I will also need to get some gear and so on

Luke,

You have a ton of options to explore. Wyoming is another option for you if you buy a preference point this summer. With one point you can draw a general tag in 2015. IMO elk is the most challenging western big game hunt so you may consider antelope for your first time? It makes for an easier hunt and is lower cost and lower stress usually. Either way lots of people on here to help. I have a lot of experience on the ground in Wyoming if you need any help or advice- feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hilltop thanks a ton for the info as well as the offer.
    I am not opposed to Wyoming either and am planning on buying a point this year also for Wyoming

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Downing View Post
    Hilltop thanks a ton for the info as well as the offer.
    I am not opposed to Wyoming either and am planning on buying a point this year also for Wyoming

Stick round here Luke! There will be a lot of information that will help you plan your hunts for the future. If I were in your shoes I would look at a digital subscription. You will be able to access back issues as well that should help you research hunts into the future.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Scott
    A friend of mine has been a subscriber for years to Eastmans. And he is sending me a ton of magazines.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's not too late to buy a pref point in WY for elk...

I would strongly suggest doing that! even if you don't want to hunt elk in WY in 2015, although you could do much worse than Elk in WY, def a solid elk state!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I do plan on buying a point this year as well as next. A good friend of mine has been giving me ideas and so on for elk hunting as he has been out west many times and we are planning on trying to do a WY DIY hunt in 2016 so I'm gonna buy a point this year as well as next and hope we both get tags