Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: region k or w

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just so many opinions, I can't decide. Once I think I figured it out I find another interesting region!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    mn. This I how I see it. Assuming you are in the regular draw you can draw (per last years stats) B, F, J, M, T, Y 2nd choice.You could not draw K or W 2nd choice in the regular draw. B, J, T have very limited public land and access. F has public land but you are not sure about it for the reasons you started this thread. F also doesnt start till 11/1 and there could be more access issues that late. Y has lots of public land and access in the bighorns so no matter what you will have plenty of country to hunt. M has a decent amount of public land but some of it has very few deer on it from what I have herd although 1 advantege to M is you could get a leftover antelope tag in 20 or 21 and hunt antelope too but I have no idea if those units have decent deer hunting. You could still get the antelope tag there and hunt deer in Y if you wanted too.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I see where your coming from. 105 opens Oct.1 runs to the 31st if I'm reading correctly. But I hear some good things about late season to getting closer to the rut.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes 105/106 open 10/1. I didnt think of that. Honestly I have been steering clear any areas with wolves. Got enough of then in Idaho so I figured no sense going places with them in WY. lol. Also I was wrong about those antelope units being in M, they are in Y not M.
    Keystone 1, Over!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Yes 105/106 open 10/1. I didnt think of that. Honestly I have been steering clear any areas with wolves. Got enough of then in Idaho so I figured no sense going places with them in WY. lol. Also I was wrong about those antelope units being in M, they are in Y not M.
    Thanks! Yeah those wolves suck. Grizzlys bother me a bit, sure hate to be on their dinner plate!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I wouldnt want to get eaten by 1 either. I was backpacking in ID a few years ago. I was just setting up camp and herd something in the brush. Grabbed my gun and walked up where i could see where it came from and it was a bear. There are grizz in that area but Idk what it was, it didnt stay around long and Im not sure who was more scared it or me. Anyways I cut a bunch of branches and put them over my shelter. Figured if that bear tried to eat me he would atleast make enough noise getting through the branches to wake me up! LOL
    Keystone 1, Over!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think we might stick with f.

Is it worth walking in and out everyday?
    I would like to pack in and stay, but the grizzlies. What do you guys that stay in that kind of country do? Is there anything you can do to keep them away or so that I feel a little safer?
    One more thing, does it make more sense to set up camp in the wide open or would that be worse?

Thanks for any info!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just punch it in the nose a couple of times. They will turn and walk away. That's my experience anyway!!.... J/k

I wish I could help ya man. That's something I can't comprehend. I couldn't imagine having to plan around grizzlies along with all of the other planning involved in the trips we all take.

But honestly, there's a lot of people that hunt in Grizzly country. So surely they can be hunted around or avoided somehow.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will let you know some tips in a few weeks. I will be hunting bear in Grizz country in MT coming up here, and I intend to learn as much as I can about Grizz fieldcraft from a couple of guys who live in grizz country and are really smart about it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhunter View Post
    I will let you know some tips in a few weeks. I will be hunting bear in Grizz country in MT coming up here, and I intend to learn as much as I can about Grizz fieldcraft from a couple of guys who live in grizz country and are really smart about it.
    Best advice I have been told by an old experienced griz guy- Always take someone with you that runs slower than you.