Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I have seen the crossings in a few places and from what I have herd they prevent alot of road kill. Last time I went through Pinedale on my way to CO they were putting some of them in.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Whitetail are an issue. They'll outcompete mule deer bc they're just wired to be more aggressive. Having said that mule deer are moving into low density WT country here. It's mostly a mix of dry land crop fields (cotton/milo/corn) with pivots scattered all over the place, but I've dove hunted up there for the past 20yrs and just started seeing them in the last 2 yrs. I'm thinking the massive fires a cpl years ago pushed them further East.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As bad as I hate to say it, I thing cutting tags will help and I agree that the drought and tough winters can really take it told on the Muley's but 20 years ago they had droughts and hard winters and big Mule Deer were prevelant , I think some areas hunting pressure is problem but there is no single solution, weather, habitat , human encroachemnt, loss of habitat , wolves in some areas , I wish I had the answer for them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    We need to do a better job controlling the coyote population. Fur prices dropped so low over the past 15 years that there aren't enough people targeting them. Coyotes do have a significant impact on deer numbers so controlling them would only help... Of course if the occasional wolf ended up biting the dust it wouldn't hurt either! Lions kill a ton of deer as well... Each adult cat takes out 25-40 deer a year on average. With an estimated 2000 cats in Wyoming that is 50,000 to 80,000 deer a year taken out of the population. Of course the lions eat other animals but this just gives you an idea for one state.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My dos pesos; too many predators, too much development, not enough water, forage, quality habitat, too many tags! Until we take it upon ourselves to cut tags and actively engage in restoring habitat and augmenting the quality of the existing habitat we will not see any change for the better. For Wyoming I've said it before... General and Unlimited Whitetail tags..., 3 point restriction and draw only on Mulies. Not much can be done about the loss of winter range to development unless we as hunters join with other conservation groups to purchase winter ranges for as it has been said and mostly holds true... "what is owned by all is cared for by none."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post
    I agree with the drought synopsis. I am not sure I fit in with the level headed crowd. I should talk to a biologist or someone like that, but the whitetails continue to move into Muley habitat and compete for the limited resources. In Eastern Wyoming, they have had "unlimited" quotas for whitetail does to help control them for several years. The drought, whitetails, wolves, cougars, and roadkill from increased traffic, loss of winter habitat and forage, all combine against the Mule Deer. I know around Pinedale, WY, they put up these crossings and bridges for migrating wildlife to help prevent some roadkill. I am not sure how well that is working. There are probably some other factors, too.
    ATWind, those underpasses are working Great once the critters got used to them. They have cameras inside to record the #'s. They should put more in, around Cody and on Togwotee pass to cut roadkill.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossCreeks View Post
    As bad as I hate to say it, I thing cutting tags will help and I agree that the drought and tough winters can really take it told on the Muley's but 20 years ago they had droughts and hard winters and big Mule Deer were prevelant , I think some areas hunting pressure is problem but there is no single solution, weather, habitat , human encroachemnt, loss of habitat , wolves in some areas , I wish I had the answer for them.
    Cutting the doe tags will probably help, but for the most part the ranchers want the competition with their cattle knocked back. They ask the G&F to issue more tags and the G&F is only too happy to accommodate them. Talking about Wyoming here. And it's just my opinion. I've seen the same thing happen in area# 72 for antelope. Ranchers complained, G&F issued WAY too many tags, and now it's a tough job to find antelope in # 72. Maybe Guy will clarify what happens when too many tags are issued.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hammer the predators!?

Cougar
    Wolves
    Coyotes
    Black Bear
    Grizzlies

ID, MT, and WY should include a wolf tag and possibly other predator tags as well with every NR elk and mule deer tag, and/or these wolf tags need to be less than $100, so every Non-res says sure I'll get a wolf tag etc... "just in case I come across one" vs.... "I saw a wolf, wish I had a tag..."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    A NR wolf tag in Idaho is $31.75. They also offer reduced price bear and cat tags in many areas for the same price. Dont know what MT and WY are doing but I think MT reduced their wolf prices alot from what they started at.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    A NR wolf tag in Idaho is $31.75. They also offer reduced price bear and cat tags in many areas for the same price. Dont know what MT and WY are doing but I think MT reduced their wolf prices alot from what they started at.
    You are right Montana dropped their price to $50 I get one now but not when they were higher. I didn't see or hear a coyote or wolf last season but did see a cat. A agree that they should cut the tags back. The decline where I always hunt has been significant. I think I only saw a handful of Mull Dear during archery season no bucks and just 5 years ago I would see 10 times that many 1/2 being bucks.