Thread: What to do...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts

What to do...

I am getting up there in points in my home state of Nevada for elk to draw a great area for archery, my problem is I have never hunted elk before especially with a bow. Doing the math today if I am successful, I will not be apply for 15 years. So that means I will be able to draw 2 elk tags here in my lifetime. I don't want to screw anything up. Should I put in for points only next year and buy an OTC Oregon tag? My uncle does this on the years he doesnt draw any states. I am thinking this would give me an opportunity to get my feet wet and learn as much as I can before wasting years of points. Wutcha think. I have been successful hunting so far in my life and 99/100 put in more than the average guy. I hunt hard and long. There is no way I can tag along on another hunt this year also. I am jacked up already though just thinking about harvesting an elk! You guys don't help much by the way with all these pictures!!! Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Any time spent hunting elk will be beneficial to you. Look in to as many states as you can. A lot of general archery OTC tags you can hunt areas with decent elk numbers. Do a little research on the MRS.

As for Nevada, spend as much time as you can in the areas you wish to hunt. If it takes you 15 years to draw a tag that gives you many years of scouting and learning the terrain. One of the biggest things when hunting an area is to know the terrain. You can learn many things from today's technologies like google earth but until you actually spend time in that unit you are shooting I'm the dark.

Good luck to you!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 3 Posts
    Ya I would start scouting areas... I would start with area 23 or 11-22... That's just my opinion tho...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm kind of in the same boat as you with Elk hunting and NV. Right now I'm going to keep building my points and look into either going to CO for an OTC tag or up to WY. I was reading in another thread in this forum and someone suggested going for a cow tag for the first two years since they are easy to draw and will get you that experience needed.