Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was I really in the draw?

I have joked many times that Nevada doesnt even put me in the draw, they just sell me a license, charge me app fees, and send a letter that says I was unsuccessful, but this has me wondering if it is true. Last year I did not show up at all in the bonus point data for atleast 2 deer hunts I applied for. I know this because I had 3 points and 1 of them shows no successful or unsuccessful applicants with 3 points and another shows 1 successful applicant with 3 points and I was unsuccessful. My other choices had successful and unsuccessful applicants so its hard to tell on them. With NV's system of going through all 5 of your choices when your number comes up your application should show up in the BP data no matter what choice it is so Im not quite sure what to make of this.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    You only show up in the bonus point report for your first choice on the application. Draw odds therefore are far worse than they appear on the surface.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Say you drew your 5th choice, how could it not show up since all successfully drawn applicants are shown there, or atleast there are as many successful applicants as available tags shown.
    Keystone 1, Over!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    They enter the point level of all tags drawn regardless of the choice it was. Recall I have 21 deer points, and only my first choice showed up last year.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There is no good way to calculate draw odds in Nevada. I do a rough estimate of draw odds. I divide the published odds by five (since applicants can apply for five choices) and consider that roughly the odds to draw that given hunt. I then add the odds of all the choices I applied for. Again, a very rough estimate.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So the application shows up if its successful but only 1st shows up if its unsuccessful? I figured the best way to figure draw odds was by how many points other applicants had compared to how many you had. Tags vs applicants means nothing since the # of applications in the draw is really BP squared and if tags vs apps is 1-5 it is completely different odds if most applicants have 15+ points and you have 4 then if you have 4 and so does everyone else.
    Keystone 1, Over!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Ya well join the rest of us including the res. Supposedly I'm guarantied a cow elk tag since I have 4 freakin points! I was also guarantied a Wy antelope tag last year too. Hummmmmm I don't have any meat in my freezer and I got a point last year.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree points are not very filling. lol I didnt draw anything anywhere last year either. Hunted a leftover antelope tag and otc deer tag! I think Im only going to put a 1st choice in NV this year. Have deer and antelope figured out, still working on elk. Figure i will select 1 area with decent draw odds and stick with it till I draw.
    Keystone 1, Over!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Ya well join the rest of us including the res. Supposedly I'm guarantied a cow elk tag since I have 4 freakin points! I was also guarantied a Wy antelope tag last year too. Hummmmmm I don't have any meat in my freezer and I got a point last year.
    That really sucks because my grandpa got a call from ndow last year, before the season started, and wanted to see if he wanted a cow elk tag that was turned in LOL.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I agree points are not very filling. lol I didnt draw anything anywhere last year either. Hunted a leftover antelope tag and otc deer tag! I think Im only going to put a 1st choice in NV this year. Have deer and antelope figured out, still working on elk. Figure i will select 1 area with decent draw odds and stick with it till I draw.
    For Elk I would really look at the draw odds. I don't look at non res much but I can help with where the herds are. When you get it narrowed down PM me.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post: