Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk calls

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Elk calls

With me being new I have no idea about this so wanted to ask and see what you all think and get some ideas and opinions
    With me planning a trip on 2015 (ya a long way away) I would like to get some calls and start practicing. But was wondering what all calls you all take and are there big differences In brands. And what different types are easiest to learn with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    My favorite cow calls are the Hoochie Mama by Primos, The Sleazy Cow Call by Berry Hunting Calls, and a mouth reed for cow calls and bugles. I only bugle with the reeds (usually my turkey 2.5). They take a little longer to master but in my opinion they sound as good or better than other calls on the market. There are a gob of other calls out there that are excellent.... just my favorites here.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like diaphragm calls for cow calls but I also carry a couple Sceery cow calls which I like very much. I like cow calls that sound different from each other. As far as Buggles I very seldom use one but I like my Berry Elk bugle. It produces very good subordinate bull sounds. It is also on the small side so it is lightweight and easy to carry.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm a bugling bulls fan, I love their bugles cow calls, and turkey calls. Rocky Jacobsen and the guys are great people to deal with also.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTTIN View Post
    I'm a bugling bulls fan, I love their bugles cow calls, and turkey calls. Rocky Jacobsen and the guys are great people to deal with also.
    +1
    Stay away from the Hoochie mama. Tons of people use them and they all sound the same. Might fool a bull once with them in remote country but in pressured areas they have heard hundreds of them. Learn to use a diaphragm and a reed call.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use a Primos' Palate Plate diaphragm mouth call that I pretty much keep in my mouth at all times. I also use the Primos' hyper lip single and the Sceery Ace-1. This helps me mimic multiple animals, For bugles I use the Primos' Terminator but want to give the Bugling Bulls bugle try.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I started hunting elk about 8 years back. In fact thats when I started hunting. I had to learn on my own, and I found a bugle that has been amazingly versatile and fun to use. The Hunters Specialty Mac Daddy bugle. If you are careful in shopping, buy the bugle that comes with the DVD, and sit down and watch it, and practice along with it. Be careful as to not annoy the wife or you get booted out to the garage!!!!

the bugle works for bull sounds, cow sounds, calf sounds, even if your creative, rabbit squeals for predator hunts. The replacement reeds can often be hard to find in a store. I was shocked the otherday finding some at Sportsmans Warehouse. However, they are easy to get on Amazon. Keep extras with you for sure, they are so easy to replace and cheap, so no worries there.

my other calls are typically Primos calls. Most of there reed calls work pretty well. My only complaint is some stick when cold and wet from blowing them in early AM sets. Just practice with them.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yep, I really like there calls.

Quote Originally Posted by RUTTIN View Post

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxhunter View Post
    Yep, I really like there calls.
    Bugling Bulls fan here as well, learn to use a mouth diaphragm. There are tons of videos on-line that show you. Just buy a couple and practice in the house. It drives my wife nuts, but she loves me and is still here.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelduster View Post
    +1
    Stay away from the Hoochie mama. Tons of people use them and they all sound the same. Might fool a bull once with them in remote country but in pressured areas they have heard hundreds of them. Learn to use a diaphragm and a reed call.
    I'll agree that the Hoochie mama is over used- It however still sounds like a cow elk. I think it can be used effectively with other calls to produce different sounds just like an elk herd has different sounds. The main benefit to me is that you can call with a mouth call at the same time you operate the HM call. I keep a diaphragm in my mouth and use the sleezy and hoochie mama all at the same time to create three different cow sounds.

To me the bottom line is calling in the right place at the right time means way more than what brand of call you are using.