Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fort Hood.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I been using the VFW and sometimes I wonder how much they are actually helping. Alot of the trouble is every time you appeal a decision it takes another 2+ years to get another decision thats wrong. It never ends. If it dont get done right this time Im going to get DAV or someone to go after them.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Without the DAV Lawyers (who didn't charge me anything) going to Federal Court and winning, I probably would still be fighting the VA.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Did DAV get a % of the settlement? I know some of them do. Not that I would really mind at this point. I was already in it with the VFW when I found out about DAV of I might have looked into them more. Alot of the trouble is you have no idea how to go about these things when you start out or who will actually try to help you. If I knew what I know now when I started this I think would probably would have gone alot differently.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Did DAV get a % of the settlement? I know some of them do. Not that I would really mind at this point. I was already in it with the VFW when I found out about DAV of I might have looked into them more. Alot of the trouble is you have no idea how to go about these things when you start out or who will actually try to help you. If I knew what I know now when I started this I think would probably would have gone alot differently.
    I pretty much had the DAV as my advisor/advocate for about 25 years. They kept telling me that my rating of 10% was way under what it should be. I had a VA Dr. tell me the same thing. Once we went to court and got the remand, after the new physical, the VA offered a settlement at 40%. The DAV rep told me that this was a fair appraisal and that about all I could expect. So I accepted it. I am sure I could not have done this on my own. Pretty sad that they make it so difficult to understand the system, no wonder a lot of deserving vets give up. That's the way the VA wants it....IMHO.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think thats what the VA wants too and they hope we will just give up eventually. I think 1/2 of their backlog problem is from them not handling cases right the first time too. The whole process is a night mare.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    "Lopez' mother, Carmen, an emergency room nurse in their hometown, died of a heart attack in November. A month earlier, Lopez' grandfather had died in Guayanilla."

"Lopez attended the funeral but was disappointed that it took about five days for his 24-hour leave to be approved by the military."

"Before Wednesday's shooting, Lopez stopped at the post's personnel office to pick up a leave form, according to the sister of one of the soldiers injured in the attack. The soldier was told he would have to come back later, Otis said.
    "And apparently I guess he didn't want to hear that, so he came back and just opened fire, " Otis said."

Certainly no excuse for what he did but this kinda stuff is pretty standard for the army and their is no reason for it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I am really sorry to hear about the problems that seem to be common with the VA and the military system. That is a very sad situation in Ft. Hood, too. I have heard that PTSD, brain injuries, and other mental disorders are pretty common and not dealt with very well in general by civilian or VA medical personnel. I am sure there are good ones, but private sector medical care isn't always up to par either. I wish I had a solution to offer or something. Self medicating seems to be a pervasive problem with psychiatric disorders and problems, too. That can be a bad deal. Then it might take just a little shove to go over the edge. Doctors are very smart people, but their training is in medicine, not administration. There is a suicide prevention push in my state lately, and one area of emphasis is just getting it out there and talking about the problem hoping that people or people close to the problem will come get get help instead of trying to deal with on their own. I don't know if that would help or not in this type of situation.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    When I was in (50 years ago!) no such thing as being diagnosed with PTSD. I think most returning combat vets from VN who had problems spent their time trying to drown away everything with booze.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have known some VN vets that did exactly that for most or all of their life after they came back. PTSD hasnt really been recognized until recent years.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I have known some VN vets that did exactly that for most or all of their life after they came back. PTSD hasnt really been recognized until recent years.
    I guess in WW2 they called it being "Shell-Shocked". Whatever the hell that was supposed to mean. These days the shrinks have a name for anything that ails you mentally.