Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any opinions on tarptents?

Been doing a lot of reading trying to figure out gear and so on for my first trip out west for elk
    Found on here someone suggested a tarptent so I checked them out and they look very good the prices are great and the weight is little. So I was hoping that some of you might have some opinions on them and also maybe some pictures of them set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a Tarp Tent. Mine I think is called the Scarp. Its very small and light yet tough. Has an inner mesh lining and the fly is attached to this. Mines great when its just me. Have used it on several hunts and fishing trips including Alaska and New Mexico hunts. In Alaska it rained constantly and it was weird putting it back in the sack wet when I moved spot to spot but worked out okay. In New Mexico it survived extreme winds just fine by being weighted down good. Overall very happy with the purchase.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The one I have been looking at is the contrail but the pictures on the website are hard to see and i can't tell how it is on the inside. It looks like the "bed" part of it is like a cradle almost and I'm wondering if in a hard storm weather if it would come under the outer shell

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey Luke,

i have the Contrail. It is my go-to solo shelter. While it isn't like a 4 season tent, with a tight pitch it handles some pretty good wind, in my experience. The corners of the floor are tensioned with the lines for the tarp, so it won't come out or anything. i can get a much tighter pitch with a trekking pole than the optional pole.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bitterroot would you by chance have some closer pics of the tent set up and of the inside set up by chance. Would love to see them

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Downing View Post
    Bitterroot would you by chance have some closer pics of the tent set up and of the inside set up by chance. Would love to see them
    I have a Golite tarp that weighs about a pound. Only requires a hiking pole and/or a few sticks to set up. If you are hunting early season they are fine shelters, especially if you are looking to go light. I use a space blanket to insulate my bag from the ground. If the weather is warm you can set it up with plenty of air flow. If you get rain then you can set it up tight to the ground for good coverage. Can't beat it for early weather saving weight.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Downing View Post
    I have posted this one before ...

I will see if I have an interior pic somewhere...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I remember this photo...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I have posted this one before ...

I will see if I have an interior pic somewhere...
    I remember seeing that picture before bitterroot. Awesome picture. I would really approximate some pictures of the interior if you have any. On their website that have multiple pictures of the tent but they won't blow up to full size and I can't really tell much about it

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Luke, I'm glad you posted this. I was getting ready to ask the same question. I have read in Mike Eastman's book that he likes these so that's when I got curious about them. I've just started looking into these tarptents as well. People say they are "bomb proof" tents suggesting they stand up to wind, rain and snow very well. I'd be worried that if you have the one side always open, that the wind, rain or snow could blow in on you. Unless there is a way to you can close the opening?

I may try one this fall in Western Oregon. I hear it gets very wet up there so I hope it can keep me dry. I assume that if you use the tarptent, you'd also need a bivy sack or another tarp, in addition to your sleeping bag/pad, to keep you up off the ground.