Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You will have to use rifle or leghold traps. There is no way to get a deer out of a snare even if it has a stop on it. It will break its neck from all the flopping and pulling it will do. They will also injure you in the process. Trust me ive been mauled removing deer from hog traps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Also don't know regs there but snares are illegal here

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I dont know if this is legal there either (could still be legal in Montana! lol) but get an old cow or pig or something and shoot it and put foot traps around it. I killed 17 yotes that way once with 1 cow that died!
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 3 Posts
    I'd make some leghold sets and go that route. You could probably pick up a roadkilled deer and trap them like Musket Man mentioned. My wife bought a boston terrior right before we were married. They aren't much for hunting but are great family dogs. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Put some meat bait in a thicket and snare every opening into it. Keep the bottom of the snare about 10-12 inches off the ground, that should pretty much eliminate the chance of catching a deer. Best of luck, and very sorry about your little buddy.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Check the Montana's laws before you buy any snares. They may have loop size restrictions, stop requirements and breakaway poundage requirements. You will probably need to tag your snares and may need to buy a trapping license as well. Buy a trapping book for more info on how to trap & snare coyotes. Craig O'gorman should have some books. He was one of the big names in coyote trapping back in the 1970's and 80's. He's from eastern Montana or you could look up www.minntrapprod.com for books and supplies. Tim Caven has had this business forever and he's also a good trapper. Learn how to trap or snare before you go out or you'll end up catching everything but a coyote (dogs, deer, antelope, birds). Good luck, I hope you catch those dog killing b@$+ards.
    Last edited by WY ME; 04-04-2014 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 6 Posts
    As already stated check your regs on the legality of snares, but if you set snares with deer stops to protect leg catches and don't snare fence under crossings and situations where a deer puts it's head down, you shouldn't catch an adult deer if the snare is set at the proper height for a coyote. I, also agree with using footholds, but a nice dirt hole or scent post set works great, without so much risk of catching non-target species, like birds of prey. If you look up a place called F&T post, it will have everything you need including how to DVD's, traps, snares, lure etc. Coyotes are a lot less wary if you set up in the open, using a old bleached bone, a rock etc. as backing near a natural funnel. Set a nice little dirt hole set right in front of the backing to keep him from circling and direct him over your trap. Make sure your trap is scent free and bedded real well. Mist the whole set with coyote urine and sit back and wait to meet him face to face! ( There are tons of variations to these snare and foothold sets, watch out trapping is addictive!) Sorry about your boys little buddy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    Sorry to hear that. Good luck and get them dogs!
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Don't give up on the calling just yet........... You might call three or four times before you finally get some coyotes to come in. Just a bit more patience and I think you will have some success. It would be especially rewarding to have your son with you when you got some to come to the call.
    David
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 69 Times in 6 Posts
    Ok so I talked to a good friend of mine who is a game warden here in MT and he lined me out with our regs. Basically I don't have to have a trappers license and can snare all year long for yotes. If I have an incidental trap of a fur bearing animal then all I have to do is call him up and he comes to take that animal. Also had to buy snares with a certain poundage breaking point, so I got some ordered and we will see what happens.
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy