Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sorry about your dog, same thing happen to my mom's dog but the vet saved but it took a lot of sewing up. We we all surpised the coyotes came so close to the house during daylight . Now when my wife has her dachusond outside we really have to watch. Pop everyone you can !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I dont know if this is legal there either (could still be legal in Montana! lol) but get an old cow or pig or something and shoot it and put foot traps around it. I killed 17 yotes that way once with 1 cow that died!
    Musket,

The is illegal in most states and you will end up getting as many crows, hawks and eagles as you do dogs. In most states, you can't have bait visible at all. Look up on line how to make a dirt hole set. They are extremely effective and you won't ever get a bird.

Another idea is to use a house cat in a cage while calling. Coyotes that get used to killing pets are sometimes suckers for a cat meowing from a cage.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I sait it might not be legal. lol I hardly ever got anything but yotes doing that.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    trapperman.com is a great resource for trapping or snaring coyotes. Predatormasters is more geared to calling and is also a great resource.

Fence crossings and culverts under roads are natural places to snare coyotes with a low chance of deer by-catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paradox Packs
    Ultralight Hunting Backpacks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I sait it might not be legal. lol I hardly ever got anything but yotes doing that.
    I honestly haven't tried it. A buddy of mine got in a lot of trouble trapping around a deer carcass... he caught one of those protected birds and the wrong person saw it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Had a brother-in-law shoot 27 coyotes off a dead cow couple years ago. I had a hard time believing that many but he is very honest. He set up a shooting bench in the barn and shot them at night. He would turn his spot light on and usually it would spook the coyotes. He would wait 5 minutes or so and turn it on again. After a few times they would stay and keep feeding. Pretty hard to miss a still coyote at 200 yards when you have a rest. This is legal in Nebraska with a hand held light.
    Many years ago another relative picked up a fresh road killed deer and we set it out in the middle of a wheat stubble field. Next morning at daybreak as we got close there were dozens of fresh coyote tracks in the snow heading towards it. We were getting ready for action and knew this was going to be good. Nothing but tracks and bloody snow left. They had ate that 150 lb whitetail in one night and were laid up sleeping it off. We never saw any. Not sure how many coyotes there were but it must have been a party.
    NRA Life Member
    Colorado Bowhunters Life Member
    Nebraska Bowhunters Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hang your snares in trails and fence crossings. Hang the bottom of the snare about 8 to 10 inches off of the ground and make the loops about 6 to 8 inches in diameter. And if you catch a deer, they can be released. I've done it. Good luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The pain just keeps on coming! So we had our first success, and failure, at snaring. Fortunately the snare worked, unfortunately it was on my wife's house cat. The wife is not to impressed with me right now, and the worst part was seeing my kids' face once they realized what had happened. My resolve is waning for taking out these yotes, not sure it is worth the trials and tribulations.
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    JJ,
    Sorry to hear about your struggles but I have an idea.... The most successful I've ever been at taking out coyotes was with my old German Shepard. He was a great pet and kept ALL unwanted critters away from the house. I watched him run down and kill more than one coyote. I watched him scatter an entire pack much like wolves will do. He was merciless and would grab them by the middle of the back and shake until they were dead. I never saw him get more than a scratch or two. As mentioned he was also a wonderful pet! He was gentle, kind, and extremely protective of kids and other pets. Best non-hunting dog I've ever owned. When they are socialized right they are a joy and very good at keeping the unwanted's at bay. Your kids and wife will love him if you get one as a puppy.

Again, sorry for your troubles.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Oh that's terrible. You may just want to forget the yotes and when you replace the dog, get a dog that can handle a coyote on its own. Lurcher, dogo. They are large dogs but will end a coyote right now and are great family dogs too. I have a decker rat terrier that goes bout 30 pounds. She can probably handle a single coyote on her own, probably not two at once though. They are great dogs for a family too. Good luck at home